What's new
What's new

Upgrading reversing contactor, seeking connection help...

JABlack

Plastic
Greetings all! We have a large sheet metal roller we use in aircraft restoration that recently started sticking in forward. After going through the drum switch I then found the culprit to be the reversing contactor for the roller motor.

IMG_20160223_142435.jpg

Disassembling and cleaning helped for a while but it soon went back to sticking so the hunt was on for a replacement. A conversation with a support engineer at Square D led to the purchase of a new equivalent reversing contactor, the 8702SCO8V02S which I installed and began wiring.

IMG_20160224_131026.jpg

Most of the connections to the new unit are pretty straightforward, like the motor and control wiring, but the remaining connections for the coils and such aren't as clear. I'm an aircraft mechanic with enough other skills to be hazardous but know when to stop and start asking questions. Has anyone here performed a similar upgrade or perhaps know of some helpful resources I've been unable to discover?

Thanks for any information!

- Joe

The NC interlock contact is the 2 terminals at the top left of each new starters.
The top wire from the old starter "coil" went to the interlock contact, and from the contact to the coil below.
So for the new setup, the top wire from the left starter coil now needs to go to the empty terminal on the top left of the right starter.
And the top wire from the right starter coil now needs to go to the empty terminal on the top left of the left starter.
The remaining 2 wires appear to be #3 and now connect to the wire on the coil that goes over to the other coil, only one is needed.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Thanks much! After a few email exchanges with Schneider they provided a schematic that "filled in the gaps" for the final connections. The tool has some creative wiring as well which added to the confusion, but once I figured out what was being done (jumpering coil voltage) I re-wired it to a more original standard. The new reversing contactor works like a champ and is much more crisp in it's operation. The other two reversing contactors operate the raise/lower motors on either end of the roller so get much less use than the feed, so hopefully they'll last quite a while yet.

- Joe

Back