What's new
What's new

Auxilery phase converter

berger

Aluminum
I just got thru installing ( teco jnev202-hi vfd) on my bridgeport 1.5 horse mill, well i did not realize that my power feed had 220 3 phase motor on it.Can i use the old phase converter wired to breaker box to get power i need or will this harm vfd. Do not know if i will some how lose power when both are running or not.Any other way to make this work.

If I understand...

If I understand correctly, the Bridgeport WAS powered by a rotary converter... now you'd fitted a VFD to the spindle motor, and the crossfeed drive is in need of 3-phase.

There's a couple of ways to solve that problem... one would be to find a very small VFD to drive it, another would be to make a tiny RPC (a 1/4hp 3-phase motor would work great) and tuck it inside the column... or you might (and I've never tried this) make the drive motor operate on single-phase using a start/run capacitor arrangement like you would in a self-starting rotary converter system.

I put a VFD on the power feed on my K&T mill. My problem was more a bad gear train on the table drive. Only one path through the gearbox was good. I like the results fine. I use 120 hz to transport the table a long way. Then, maybe 12 hz for a tough cut. The VFDs for about 1/4 hp are inexpensive.

auxilery phase converter

Dave Kamp yes you are correct was powering mill thru a cheap phase-a-matic converter, my converter was good from 3-4 horse to 1.5 horse my power feed motor is 1-4 horse just thought about running power from breaker box to old converter to stickly power auto feed only.Did not know if i would over power this or not,or if i would somehow do damage to new vfd,just trying to save an extra buck if possible. Dave thanks for the reply.

Yeah...

Yeah, you'll be fine... there's no harm in running an rpc with 'too small' of a load. Den's suggestion of a small inexpensive VFD for the drive is a good one, too- not as cheap as quick-wiring what youv'e got, but it's a good way to solve the problem when the opportunity presents itself.

Back