What's new
What's new

Using a RPC to power a VFD

jraksdhs

Aluminum
Is it possible to use a rotary phase converter to run a VFD. More specifically a 3ph input VFD. Above 3hp vfd are hard to find that arent 3ph input. I have a big 3ph lathe that Im thinking of converting to run off a vfd but would need a 5hp vfd and they are cheaper if they are single input than 3ph. I know some are thinking, why isnt the rotary working for me. Well, it is and it isnt. The machine runs ok in the slower speeds. If i get up into the high speeds it always kicks out, what I think is a "heater"? Its a big bore Enco lathe and I dont want to fuse with getting new parts. I converted my mill to a vfd and love it. I think Id like the lathe just as much. I know its probably more work, but I do like the speed variations and the ramp up and down features of a vfd. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Jason

I ran a DoAll D10 Surface grinder off a 3 phase Teco vfd that was been fed by a 10 hp Rotary Phase converter. For 12 years with out any isuess. YMMV

It will work, and satisfies the 3 phase input requirement. It MAY not be quite as good as a real 3 phase input, and may not totally eliminate all derating. I doubt it would be an issue unless you run the lathe to maximum capability often, and for long sessions.

it seems like the long way around the barn, unless you already have the RPC, which I assume you do. If you did not have it, I would suspect that a larger VFD that you could de-rate by 50% would still be cheaper than buying an RPC and a VFD.

Back