What's new
What's new

Variable speed 1/4 hp motor

david n

Diamond
What would be the best and cheapest way to make a 1/4hp single phase motor variable speed? And I stress cheapest! TIA

make a 1/4hp single phase motor variable speed?

That depends on the motor:

If it's an AC induction motor, gears or pulleys would work, as would a variable speed gearbox.

If it's an AC/DC universal (brush type) motor, a router speed control would do.

If it's a DC permanent magnet motor, you'll need a PWM motor drive.

To use a VFD, the motor must be three phase.

Cheapest way I know of is to pick up a 3 phase 1/4 ph motor for free and add a VFD. Depending on the VFD you get, a new VFD will cost between $99 and $120. $99 for the 1/4 hp VFD and $120 for the 1hp version. You will have all the variable speed you need.

Your best bet for cheap is a spring loaded variable speeed pulley
Nice link, Forrest:D

I've used Browning adjustable pitch sheaves, which are similar because the pitch diameter is variable.

21235_300.jpg

Screw in the threaded side to increase PD, screw it out to decrease PD. The motor still has to be on a hinged or spring loaded mount.

Barry Milton

If you want to control an existing 1ph motor, then as mentioned already, VFD is out,
I would either look at 3ph motor and VFD, or get a surplus 90v DC motor and SCR controller, these are relatively cheap, you do not need PWM.
120v or 240v can be had on ebay for ~$25.00.
These run direct of the 120v supply.
If the motor has a tach, you get the bonus of closer speed control, as the Baldor or KB SCR drives will run with or without tach.
If you need extremely high rpm, then a Universal motor and TRIAC (router) controller would do it.
Minder.

Back