What's new
What's new

3 Phase VFD on 1 Phase Power Question

Deese

Aluminum
I picked up an old vfd to experiment with at my local scrapper last week.I have been wanting to try a 3 phase unit on single phase power.I have handled several welders in my travel,and it is common for inverter arc welders to run on 1 or 3 phase by excluding one of the wires on 1 phase.So after studying the wiring diagram inside the cover of the vfd and reattaching the wires to the local 3k pot,hooked up the neccessary jumpers,and threw the switch.I had a 3hp motor for the test mule,the drive is a 5hp drive on 3 phase.Worked good,I was surprised.Now I have a question for you guys,if I use caps from each leg of the 230v single phase to the third terminal of my input rectifier can I regain the dc bus voltage that I have lost due to single phase operation.I am almost certain I have read that you are not supposed to do that,but it may have been on a manufacturers website.And if you ask them you shouldnt do anything that could keep you from buying a new drive.

Not a good idea to mix caps with electronic power supplies without some sort of inductance in the system at least, such as in an RPC, and even then I'm not 100% convinced. The caps alone don't really balance power, they just make the voltage appear normal. You will still have almost all of the current being pulled through just 4 of the 6 diodes, so the current rating of the diodes needs to be a lot lower than the 3 phase output current, hence the derating. You also get more ripple on the DC bus with a 1 phase supply and the caps on the AC side are not going to do much about that either. Bottom line, as I told someone else here recently, you won't know it didn't work until you see the smoke because all of the protection circuitry for the VFD is on the DC side, not the rectifier. You could have normal motor current and be cooking the diode bridge without knowing it.

Back