What's new
What's new

VFD for a Bandsaw

garcher

Aluminum
Hi everyone,I have a Grob NS18 vertical bandsaw that I want to install a vfd on.It has a 1HP 1725 rpm 3 phase motor.I would like to use 120v input as I have a nearby outlet,but I could run a 240v outlet easily. What input voltage would be better?Thanks for any help and recommendations.

Glenn

Glenn,

There are drives available that are 1hp, 120V rated but there are many more available that are 240V and those ones are less expensive than the lower voltage models. If the saw will have a dedicated circuit and most of the wiring/breakers are in place then I think the 240V version would be the best bargain.

They will both drive the saw in the same manner..unit price and wiring/install costs are the only difference.

Stuart

I had a 1 hp, 120 volt in x 240 volt 3 phase out vfd and the input amps were 19. That is a lot for a 120 volt wall outlet as most are 15 amp circuits and 15 amp receptacles unless the circuit was installed as a 20 amp circuit with 20 amp receptacles.
I dold my 120 volt input vfd and purchased a 240 volt one.
There are no free lunches in the electrical world. You pay someplace.
Bruce

Thanks for the replies, I think I will purchase the 240V input.Will I get much HPdecrease from the 1HP unit or should I go larger?

Thanks
Glenn

Glenn,

You only need to buy the drive that fits the intended motor size..bigger isn't better in this case. If your saw has a 1hp motor, buy a drive that is good for at least 1hp, it doesn't need to be larger.

Most homes will have outlets wired with 12/3 romex which is rated for 20 amps. With this wire in place all that would be needed to use a 120v inverter would be a check to make sure your circuit breaker is rated for 20 amps and a look at the DCO (outlet) to verify it's rated at 20 amps. Most DCO's will be rated at only 15 amps but the 20 amp version is readily available at the hardware store. This all assumes the drive has a max current draw of 20 amps or less. (120V version)

Using a 240V drive avoids all that work.

Stuart

I also have a grob ns18 saw. I used a 220v drive, and just leave it on 60hz and switch the belts. I wired it so that the original start stop switches work, All the 3 phase stuff is still there, so it could be converted back easily. I'm not home now, but if you PM me I can send pictures and a schematic at the end of the week.

Back