What's new
What's new

VFD Compatibility

Ozzy88

Plastic
Hello

I have researched VFDs on this forum but have some questions related to clarification.

I purchased a 3PH Table saw from a high school and want to run the motor from single phase 230 input. Below are the specs of the motor:
Hp: 2
RPM: 3450 / 2850
Volts: 208-220 / 440
Amps: 6.2 / 3.1
Cycle: 60 / 50

Question:
1) My research seems to indication that any VFD will work with single phase input, just need to compensate with 2x HP. But what about the other specs such as voltage In/Out?

Below is a VFD I have been considering buying used on flea bay. Would this be too large for my motor?
ABB ACS150-03U-08A8-4
5HP
400 - 480 VAC Input
480 VAC Output
8.8 Amps

Thank you!

Your input voltage is low at 230 VAC.

The 2x HP idea depends on the VFD input rectification circuit.

Choose another one.

Hello

I have researched VFDs on this forum but have some questions related to clarification.

I purchased a 3PH Table saw from a high school and want to run the motor from single phase 230 input. Below are the specs of the motor:
Hp: 2
RPM: 3450 / 2850
Volts: 208-220 / 440
Amps: 6.2 / 3.1
Cycle: 60 / 50

Question:
1) My research seems to indication that any VFD will work with single phase input, just need to compensate with 2x HP. But what about the other specs such as voltage In/Out?

Below is a VFD I have been considering buying used on flea bay. Would this be too large for my motor?
ABB ACS150-03U-08A8-4
5HP
400 - 480 VAC Input
480 VAC Output
8.8 Amps

Thank you!

If you have a 230VAC single phase supply in your shop, that drive will not work as it requires a higher input voltage than what you can supply (unless you also want to buy a transformer to go from 230VAC to 460VAC single phase in which case the drive would probably work fine.

There are lots of drives in the 208-220 Volt range that can source 6.2 Amps that are rated for single phase input.

This drive is rated for both single phase and 3 phase input and prices on the internet range from $220 - $320 depending on where you shop.

Emerson Unidirve M1-(y)75, motordriveexpress.com

[There are lots of drives in the 208-220 Volt range that can source 6.2 Amps that are rated for single phase input.]

I believe I understand correctly, my shop's 230VAC Single Phase will work as long as the 3PH VFD Input is 208-230VAC. Does that mean the VFD Output can only be 230VAC? Or are there 3PH VFD that convert to 460VAC? Or would I need a transformer for 230VAC to 460VAC?

Thank you so much for your insights!

Some drives can raise the voltage. It's not very common.

Generally, 230 in means nominal 230 out as well.

To use at 460 you would need the transformer to raise voltage to 460 to run it.

The 460V class drives are not as common in single phase input. I would suggest using 230V since your motor will take it. Many single phase input drives, WITH NO DERATING are available these days in the 2 HP area, Keep your life simple, go that way.

It is also possible to run the VFD to a 3 phase transformer to get to 460V, but, again, no reason to make things complicated. If necessary, you can get whatever you need to convert the saw to 230V (controls etc) easier than fooling with the 460, usually, and it is generally a safer voltage to work with.

This site is called Practical Machinist for a reason - keep it simple is the best advice for me. I will do the 2HP like you & motion guru suggest. Thank you kindly for the prompt advice!

I tend to over complicate projects like this. One funny example is I decided to run 230V into my garage to create my woodshop last winter. Wanting to provide myself with the most equipment options, I decided to go overkill & run 10/3 Romex - through my garage attic and down the walls. Well Minnesota winters are cold as hell and the cable was like bending rebar, plus trying to get the receptacle into the box was like shoving a cat in a bucket of water. I measure projects by the number of curse words - I stopped counting after the first few days. I believe some are still floating above somewhere in the atmosphere.

..... I decided to go overkill & run 10/3 Romex - through my garage attic and down the walls. ......

It's usually a FAR better idea to use EMT ("conduit") and run stranded wire in it. Easier to change, easier to pull, still protected.

As for the weather, does it still get to -36F the way it used to? My relatives up there say it has warmed up since I left.

Stranded wire would have been much better - live and learn.

The winters have less prolong periods of extreme cold yet, are actually longer. It is now a regular occurrence to get snow mid April and even into May. The two weeks of below zero temps that accompanied past winters are more rare. That said, MN is over 400 miles north to south with multiple jet streams which produce 2-3 distinctly different winters.

I like the cold - helps to keep the riff-raff further south...so don't go telling people it is now warmer. Unless they are machinists or woodworkers, we can always use more of those good people, ha!

Hah... maybe I'll move back. At least the termites are less of an issue there than here, still. Heck, we have Armadillos now. Saw one (dead of course) along "141" last year.

No fond memories of trying to start a carburetor car at -29F..... And those were Swedish cars that should have been made for cold weather.

Armadillos around St Louis?! Wow! We don't have termites, but plenty of mosquitoes. I travel to StL every two years - the humidity...I would need to change shirts 3x a day. If you do move back don't forget your wallet - we tax anything and everything.

Ha!...sticking a screw driver in the carb and a few squirts of Ether each morning to start the car. God bless the man that invented fuel injection!

Back