What's new
What's new

VFD help to run Baldor 3hp 3 PH grinder

GunMonkey

Plastic
I have a 3hp 3 phase Baldor motor (1216w grinder) id like to run a VFD on. I have done some reading but some of it has confused me. Not sure if I need to look for a VFD that is rated for 6 hp or 3hp. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Data plate reads.

3hp
3 phase
50/60 Hz
Volts 208-230/460
Amps 7.7-7.3/3.6
RPM 1500/1800

Power input would be 110v

Would this work?

Amazon.com: Konmison VFD Drive VFD 11V 1.5KW 3HP VFD Inverter Variable Frequency Drive Inverter for Spindle Motor Speed Control (11V 1.5kw VFD): Home Improvement

The sellers add makes no sense what so ever. They say 1.5KW *and* 3HP. Which is it? 1.5 should run a 2HP motor not 3hp. Doing the math your load at 120v single phase would be just over 25 amp. I've not seen any converter that does that (not that they don't exist). A load this size should be on a 240 circuit.

That one has such minimal specs, and looks very much like the bad cheap chinese type that I;d not suggest it.

Then there is also the point that it says 1.5 kW AND 3 HP.... Those two numbers do NOT go together, and I saw no current capability spec.

For that matter, 3HP and 110V do not go together, the input current will be too high.

They do not know anything about what they are selling, I'd stay away. Even their picture is backwards.......

Thanks for the response. My options right now are Chinese. This is a temporary situation where Im trying to run the grinder until we move again. My wife is in the military and the constant moves mean I have to change setups overtime. We do not have 220 electricity in the garage here. I only have a single phase 110 sub panel and we are renting. If need be I could add a 30amp breaker pretty easily. I just don't know how to come with a 110 amp requirement? Would it be 25 amps? Can you explain the method for calculation. Am I multiplying the 3 phase times the 7.7 amps?

Would this possibly work? it is 2.2kw

UPDATED 11V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD 2.2KW NEW TOP QUALITY | eBay

the vfd takes care of the reactive amps so you only need to supply 3 hp (divided by .7 for efficiency) (one hp is 746 watts) to the vfd. that's about 25 amps at 110. (furthermore the vfd doesn't draw unity power factor but ignore that for the moment.. you may find the vfd will blow a 30 amp breaker if you pull 3 hp out of the grinder for a long time...)

do you really need 3 hp?

the vfd only pulls as many amps as power is required to drive the motor. at no load, this should be a tenth of full load current.

you should do just find with one of those 110v input 220v output vfds, but don't expect them to deliver their "rated" "full" load for more than oh, a few thousand hours. the capacitors in those things are usually rated for less than half of what they need to be. but it would double the price to do it right.

The VFD generally pulls a lowish capacitive power factor, somewhere around 0.5 to 0.6, maybe a little higher, depends on the capacitance in the VFD power supply section.

usually, figuring 1.4x the theoretical watt-based current is reasonably close. so 3 x 746 -2240W, 2240 / 120 = 18.7, 18.7 x 1,4 = 26 A. That's probably not very accurate, but does show that you will not get full power out at 120V.

Actual current could be closer to 28 or 29A at full pop. You just will not be able to bear down on the grinder.

My other concern is the VFD.... The Huanyang have been known to not work out of the box, or blow after a short while. Having seen the innards of at least one, I was not impressed. As background, I have designed a few VFDs, for commercial and military applications, so I do have some reference points as far as construction, compliance to agency (UL/CSA/CE, etc) standards, etc.

Up to you, I understand limited finances, but you have been warned. (To be fair, some have worked fine also)

The seller is not being completely honest on both links. I presently have an HY inverter (7.5 kw). It is actually designed for three-phase input. But if you calculate in the D rating, it performs someone OK. There was a huge learning curve with it. Mine provides power to a 5 hp motor (Or 3.7 kW). My HY VFD works OK, but I would never brag about it. The manual, parameter settings, and fine-tuning you will be into 30 to 40 hours. My 7.5 kW HY inverter is on a 30A line. I have no problem with some VFD manufacturing out of China, but HY, I will not use them again. They are not user-friendly.

Back