What's new
What's new

VFD hp rating

ronlyke

Cast Iron
When choosing a VFD, do I select one with a hp rating that's the same as my motor? (1 hp motor on my Bridgeport---1 hp rated vfd ok?)

....Or do I choose one with a higher rating?

Thanks

short answer is yes.

longer answer is you may want to be able to turn that 1 hp motor into a 2 hp motor for short intervals of time without the vfd tripping.

normal induction motors stall at around 2 times the full load torque. so if you have made a habbit of bogging down that 1 hp motor, you're not going to be able to do that with a 1 hp vfd.

Better to find one with a CURRENT rating that is at least what the motor needs, preferably with some margin.

USUALLY the correct voltage and HP will get the current you need. Sometimes it ends up pretty close, which increases the chance of trouble when using a heavier tool or a short term heavy cut.

Also, look at the overload rating of the VFD. Most will do about 150% for "a while". The "a while" time makes a difference. It can be anything from a couple minutes, down to a few seconds, depending on the VFD. You want longer, if possible, because that cuts down on overcurrent trips. At least 30 seconds is usually good for fast acceleration, etc.

Back