What's new
What's new

VFD and pressure switch

cmainer

Plastic
I have searched but can not find exactly what I need. I am trying to wire up a pressure switch on my 7.5kw Huanyang VFD. (I know it's junk)I have found instructions on how to do this on other models with the forward and reverse input on the connections but my vfd does not have any connections labeled like this mine are s1-s7 I believe. any help is appreciated.

Pressure switch?

Are you powering air compressor?

Not familiar with your unit but it seems a SPST switch connected across whatever closure for run should do it.

Program to run when closed and stop when open.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

yes I am powering a compressor. My vfd has a row of terminal connections S1-S5 for inputs that can be for run/stop switches which I believe one wire from the pressure switch goes to but I have found different answers as far as where the other wire goes. Some say it goes to ground terminal which i have others say it goes to the common terminal which I also have. I have tried both of these but the compressor keeps running when the pressure switch opens.

Check the manual for the functions. You may have to program the function you want into the VFD..

Does the switch open a contact or close it, when the pressure is reached?

the contact opens when pressure is reached. The manual is very vague and really gives no instructions on how to wire it. I will put a link to it below. I would think the pressure switch should get wired to S1 and to the common terminal but it will not shut off when the pressure switch opens connected like this. I have tried different settings in the parameters for the S1 input but there was no change. Thank you

here is the manual https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwigooLombrTAhXC24MKHcuLCHQQFgguMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hy-electrical.com%2FBF%2FGT%2520series%2520manual.PDF&usg=AFQjCNFwtxvtgB-S-Dh0WGfFgUeUW5oeiA&sig2=vCqY2wVeYUWYFIwyx8nhzw

The google link takes forever....

Use this:

http://www.hy-electrical.com/BF/GT series manual.PDF

Okay, let's assume you know nothing about VFDs.

For all VFDs, have nothing but wire between it and the motor; Bad Things may occur, otherwise, if a switch is between VFD and motor.

Only One Motor Per VFD.

You bought it new, unused (trying to avoid Bad Things)?

For the moment, the pressure switch is not connected to anything.

The VFD has its own breaker/disconnect.

I can't find an explicit declaration (in the first pages) about single phase operation, tell me what page contains that declaration, as well as any single phasing "safety" that needs to be disabled.

You have only single phase power, right?

The motor is 3.75 kw or less? (Single phase de-rating is typical)

On page 71, function PB.00 needs to be set to 0, to disable input phase protection.

Terminals RST are three phase input; which two terminals for single phase? I don't know.

Function P0.03 (max frequency) set to at least 60, unless the motor tolerates 50hz operation.

OK. Those switches are programmable.

You need to set a few things up. You have to set the input source, the source for speed control, and you need to set what those inputs do. That last is "P5 group terminals" on page 44.

Steve

First of all thank you very much for your help and your right I know very little about a VFD. I do have it hooked up and working. It actually works quite well I just have to shut it off when i get enough pressure and then go turn restart it when I need more air and this gets old when using my DA sander or other things since the compressor is in its own room around the back of my shop that I have to get to from the outside. I just haven't been able to get the pressure switch to work. I am pretty sure its something i am not getting right in the programming.

OK. Those switches are programmable.

You need to set a few things up. You have to set the input source, the source for speed control, and you need to set what those inputs do. That last is "P5 group terminals" on page 44.

Yes That is what I have been trying to do is set the switches to the right setting. I think the wires from the pressure switch should go to S1 and the other to the common terminal but I have also been told they should go to S1 and the ground terminal but I haven't been able to get either to work. I did get the compressor to kick back on after the pressure dropped far enough but I can not make it shut off when the pressure switch opens.

The google link takes forever....

Use this:

http://www.hy-electrical.com/BF/GT series manual.PDF

Okay, let's assume you know nothing about VFDs.

For all VFDs, have nothing but wire between it and the motor; Bad Things may occur, otherwise, if a switch is between VFD and motor.

Only One Motor Per VFD.

You bought it new, unused (trying to avoid Bad Things)?

For the moment, the pressure switch is not connected to anything.

The VFD has its own breaker/disconnect.

I can't find an explicit declaration (in the first pages) about single phase operation, tell me what page contains that declaration, as well as any single phasing "safety" that needs to be disabled.

You have only single phase power, right?

The motor is 3.75 kw or less? (Single phase de-rating is typical)

On page 71, function PB.00 needs to be set to 0, to disable input phase protection.

Terminals RST are three phase input; which two terminals for single phase? I don't know.

Function P0.03 (max frequency) set to at least 60, unless the motor tolerates 50hz operation.

Steve

yes the vfd is new, for single phase input you use the R&T inputs. I have a print out that came with the vfd that shows this. but thats all it shows is the inputs and out puts to the motor. I can make the VFD restart automatically after loosing power and wire the pressure switch to the magnetic contact switch and everything work right but I know its not good for the VFD to just loose power completely every time the compressor needs to kick off.

These programmable inputs, is that when "sink" or "source" comes into play?

For troubleshooting, I'd replace the pressure switch with a toggle switch, see if the VFD obeys the toggle switch. Unless the pressure switch is "known good"...

I THINK that if you set P5.01 to "1", and P5.10 to "0", then S1 will cause forward running when closed to ground, and stop when opened. That should be what you want.

I am not sure what those settings default to, probably all zeros, which is "no function" for the S1 etc switches. This from pages 44 thru 48 of the manual you linked.

These programmable inputs, is that when "sink" or "source" comes into play?

For troubleshooting, I'd replace the pressure switch with a toggle switch, see if the VFD obeys the toggle switch. Unless the pressure switch is "known good"...

I know the pressure switch is good. I have testeed it with a meter and you can hear it opening and closing when it does. by the diagram in the book, am I correct in wiring the pressure switch to S1 and the common terminal?

I THINK that if you set P5.01 to "1", and P5.10 to "0", then S1 will cause forward running when closed to ground, and stop when opened. That should be what you want.

I am not sure what those settings default to, probably all zeros, which is "no function" for the S1 etc switches. This from pages 44 thru 48 of the manual you linked.

JST

I tried again just like this and still nothing. When you look at the settings for P5.10 I understand how this would work but in the diagrams it keeps showing the FOR and REV terminals, but my drive does not have these. I know some of the different models do and you hook the pressure switch to either the FOR or the REV terminal and the common DCOM terminal and it works but I don't have these terminals.

FIRST: have you made the connection shown on P13 from +24V to "PW"? That is what activates the S1 to S8 terminals

From what I gathered in the manual, when you set the S1 terminal setting (P5.01) to "1", you MAKE S1 the FWD terminal. If you set it to "2" you would make it the REV terminal. All the other ones of those 8 that are not used should be set to "0" to de-activate them

You do not have to find a "FWD" terminal, you PROGRAM a terminal to BE that.

Then by setting the P5.10 to "0", you select a control method where grounding S1 runs FWD, opening that connection causes a stop.

But you have to activate the controls with that connection of 24V to "PW".

FIRST: have you made the connection shown on P13 from +24V to "PW"? That is what activates the S1 to S8 terminals

From what I gathered in the manual, when you set the S1 terminal setting (P5.01) to "1", you MAKE S1 the FWD terminal. If you set it to "2" you would make it the REV terminal. All the other ones of those 8 that are not used should be set to "0" to de-activate them

You do not have to find a "FWD" terminal, you PROGRAM a terminal to BE that.

Then by setting the P5.10 to "0", you select a control method where grounding S1 runs FWD, opening that connection causes a stop.

But you have to activate the controls with that connection of 24V to "PW".

I had missed this step but I have it connected now and still no shut off.

Referring to pg 38:
If P1.15 is set to be 0, when power on, inverter will not start even if FWD/REV terminal is active, until FWD/REV terminal disabled and enabled again.
If P1.15 is set to be 1, when power on and FWD/REV terminal is active, inverter will start automatically.
Note: This function may cause the inverter restart automatically, please be cautious about using it.

Is P1.15 = 1 ?

Perhaps it's time for a reset to factory defaults?

Referring to pg 38:

Is P1.15 = 1 ?

Perhaps it's time for a reset to factory defaults?

P1.15 is for restart control if the VFD looses power completely, like the breaker tripping. That is one of the first things I was looking at. I have tried the factory reset and then reprogrammed everything a couple of times. I'm begining to think this POS just isn't going to work right.

Back