What's new
What's new

VFD question about starting

Johnny V

Cast Iron
Not new to machinery, but new to VFD's. One question I have is, does a VFD start a machine instantly or does it start delayed? My thoughts lately have been leaning towards a rotary converter, but when I saw what I could get a VFD for, I thought that might be a good alternative. I do like the instant start with the rotary, but wanted to know if I would be sacrificing this feature with the VFD.

Johnny,

A VFD has the programming ability to start the load fast, slow, super slow, super fast, torque boost fast..and probably more. It can do all this and make you breakfast at the same time.:)

A rotary phase converter doesn't hold a candle to a good frequency drive.

Stuart

Thanks for the reply Stuart. Is the Teco FM50 series considered a decent unit? Factorymation has the FM50's for a decent price with a 2 year warranty. I'm wanting to use this on a Bridgeport mill with a 1hp Fairbanks Morse motor. Currently, I have to start my lathe to get the Bridgeport start

Johnny,

I have a Teco on a drill press, have used Teco's in various customer builds and also have a bunch of Hitachi's. I think the Teco FM50 is a perfectly fine drive. The programming is pretty straightforward and there are dealers with actual human beings on staff you can talk to if things get to confusing.

Stuart

The FM50 is an old drive that is obsolete, but FactoryMation is still selling new ones, what's called "New Old Stock", because Teco made thousands of them before shutting down the production lines. It's an old drive design from the 90s that is not capable of "Sensorless Vector Control", which is a universal feature in newer drives and allows the drive to provide more accurate speed control and less "cogging" at low speeds. If it were me, I'd spring a few extra bucks for a drive that has SVC, they preform much better on machine tools.

Back