What's new
What's new

Which VFD would you recommend for these particular needs?

John Strange

Aluminum
With these features sought, and to be used with a 1HP 3Phase motor, which brand/model VFD is right for me?

1. If possible I would like a unit which will allow me to choose from 115v or 220v Single Phase input to 230v Three phase Output.

2. Can be controlled with my existing FWD –OFF– REV drum switch.

3. Will allow me to run a remote speed control pot.

Thank you

120 vac input is bad idea.

Limits choices to "retail" not commercial.

We prefer Allen bradley 13xx units as we have 2.

Can use existing drum and other switches wired to logic controls to control VFD.

On last lathe we modified drum switch so one set of contacts "makes" before the others and use it for "stop" then other 2 sets as "run" and "reverse" and it works great.

Added a pot for speed control.

Can go from RPM to MPR speed.

Before you buy download the manual and read it to confirm you have tge correct unit for your needs and that you can install and program it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Just about any current model unit will operate @240 Volts single phase. I have Automation Direct, Hitachi, GE, SpeedStar, and Altivar. They all work from original controls or equal and they have speed pot control. If you want fast braking you may need to use a higher end unit with an auxiliary braking resistor.

Teco, Invertek, and Hitachi (I think) all offer 120V input units.

They would not be my first choice, but they will work at the 1 HP level, and sometimes yah gotta do what yah gotta do.

With these features sought, and to be used with a 1HP 3Phase motor, which brand/model VFD is right for me?

1. If possible I would like a unit which will allow me to choose from 115v or 220v Single Phase input to 230v Three phase Output.

2. Can be controlled with my existing FWD –OFF– REV drum switch.

3. Will allow me to run a remote speed control pot.

Thank you

For only a 1HP load?

Have a look at the KBAC Hybrid Drive™ - NEMA 4X / IP 65.
You can download the brochures and manuals for these:

https://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_AC_Drives_Inverters/AC_Drives_NEMA_4X.html

...or any OTHER VFD. And should do before making your choice.

Probably want a 2 HP unit, not just for the NEMA 4X enclosure, these have "analog" configuration controls.

Easily "remoted" but you may not have to do, as the enclosure AND switches are seriously nasty-proof, so you can mount it where you need it to be.

No "memory" to get confused or need reset, no numerical "programming steps" to deal with by keypad and tiny display, (some VFD have over 150 such option settings..)- just tweak with a small screwdriver, same as their DC Drives, and go make chips.

"Best" VFD out there? I don't see how it could be.

Simplest to use, OTOH? Now THAT it very well could be.

For only a 1HP load?

Have a look at the KBAC Hybrid Drive™ - NEMA 4X / IP 65.
You can download the brochures and manuals for these:

https://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_AC_Drives_Inverters/AC_Drives_NEMA_4X.html

...or any OTHER VFD. And should do before making your choice.

Probably want a 2 HP unit, not just for the NEMA 4X enclosure, these have "analog" configuration controls.

Easily "remoted" but you may not have to do, as the enclosure AND switches are seriously nasty-proof, so you can mount it where you need it to be.

No "memory" to get confused or need reset, no numerical "programming steps" to deal with by keypad and tiny display, (some VFD have over 150 such option settings..)- just tweak with a small screwdriver, same as their DC Drives, and go make chips.

"Best" VFD out there? I don't see how it could be.

Simplest to use, OTOH? Now THAT it very well could be.

I use 100s of KB Electronic drives a year on my machines. I have never had one fail yet. I recomend the KBAC-24 for your use. Electric Motor Wholsale will have the best price out there and are great family biz. KBAC-24D 1HP VFD 115/23VAC GRAY 9987

For the original poster's desire to use the drum switch for directional control, and have a remote speed control potentiometer, the KB Electronics KBVF chassis format drives might be worth a look. The KBVF24D has the 115v input option and is rated at 1HP, and the interfaces should allow the desired remote switching and speed control. The KBVF26D for not a lot more $$ is rated at 2HP to give some more margin. Put it in a housing (with adequate airflow)/ out of the way to keep it from debris, and run your control wiring to where you need it
KB Electronics AC Chassis Drives

For the original poster's desire to use the drum switch for directional control, and have a remote speed control potentiometer, the KB Electronics KBVF chassis format drives might be worth a look. The KBVF24D has the 115v input option and is rated at 1HP, and the interfaces should allow the desired remote switching and speed control. The KBVF26D for not a lot more $$ is rated at 2HP to give some more margin. Put it in a housing (with adequate airflow)/ out of the way to keep it from debris, and run your control wiring to where you need it
KB Electronics AC Chassis Drives

I did not catch the part about needing the remote pot. The KBVF-24D would work well but would recommend putting it in an enclosure of some type or in the cabinet of the machine if possible.
What I like about the KBAC drives is they can be mounted right at the machine have a pot and direction control right there. Not many drives have these options in a NEMA 4 encloser. Anyways I have run a several different KB Electronics AC drives and all of them have been flawless.
Bonus for being made in the USA too! I cant recommend them enough

KBVF are inexpensive, allow remote speed and direction controls, but very limited in features/performance. Have not had good success using them in mills, lathes or drives but OK for simple systems. KBAC is a decent self contained NEMA 4X VFD, but it requires a separate I/O board for any remote functions. Worked with a KBAC install on a lathe and needed to get an IO board, the manufacturer did not recommend it for that application. The KBAC with IO board, you are looking at 2-3X the price of say a Teco L510 which comes in either a 120 or 240V input. Invertek, Hitachi WJ200, GS2/GS3, Lenze SMV etc. are all decent, the Teco L510 being the least expensive but it is a relatively new model. Lenze is also available in a NEMA 4X but pricey.

KBVF are inexpensive, allow remote speed and direction controls, but very limited in features/performance. Have not had good success using them in mills, lathes or drives but OK for simple systems. KBAC is a decent self contained NEMA 4X VFD, but it requires a separate I/O board for any remote functions. Worked with a KBAC install on a lathe and needed to get an IO board, the manufacturer did not recommend it for that application. The KBAC with IO board, you are looking at 2-3X the price of say a Teco L510 which comes in either a 120 or 240V input. Invertek, Hitachi WJ200, GS2/GS3, Lenze SMV etc. are all decent, the Teco L510 being the least expensive but it is a relatively new model. Lenze is also available in a NEMA 4X but pricey.

Are you sure it was a KBAC drive that with on the lathe? I am not saying it was not but to the best of my knowledge there is not an option to add I/O to the KBAC modules only their KBDF's have this but there not nema 4.

For his two functions, he is looking for there would be not a need for an IO board to get those functions with a KBCA drive. One could easily relocate the pot that is installed on the Drive to where ever one wanted it installed. As for the for the Forword/ reverse all KBAC drives are FWD –OFF– REV ready. If one needs true I/O than yes a KBAC is not the drive for the Job.
If one needed lots of I/0 the KBDF's are super drives as well. They comparable in function and price to the Teco and Hitachi but made in the USA. I used one of them on a Centroid CNC retrofit and it was fantastic. FYI bought the extra I/O board for it but it turned out I did not need the I/O board as it had enough included with the drive. 9674 KBDF-24D 1HP VFD 115/23VAC 1PH INPUT

KBAC uses separate direction forward/reverse output, and a separate start stop function. One could put something together that would work with a drum switch to issue both a run command and a direction command vs. the typical 2 wire VFD control. KBDA requires a separate IODA board for external inputs. I have installed/used about a dozen different KB drives specifically KBVF, KBMA, KBAC, KBDA. The latter three are OK as stand alone and for use in basic function settings and work well (in my opinion) where you want a basic VFD speed control and a run stop function. Having a NEMA 4X enclosure (KBAC, KBDA) is nice in situations where you have a lot of dust or exposure to liquids and saves the cost of a separate enclosure. I have had problems with braking with all these units if there is any mass/momentum in the drive, they do not stop quickly and they either do not have provision for a braking resistor, or some require a proprietary module which is expensive (KBVF DBVF Dynamic Brake Module 9598 lists at $182). KBDF is a VFD with programmable inputs, but somewhat limited in the overall programmable functions. In some machinery you need more functions and input controls, so my typical lathe installs I use 5-6 of the programmable functions, while other machines I typically use 3-4.

I have no doubt that all the VFD's listed are well built and should function well, I rarely see any of the brands mentioned fail or have reliability issues regardless of the country of origin. Since parts and components/sub assembles are sourced from all over the world, there are very few items that are truly made in one country. The only "new" VFDs I have seen significant reliability issues with are the HY/generic ones that have been banned in this forum.

The Teco L510 is reasonable entry level (1/2 the price of the KBAC, KBDA) VFD that would meet the requested specifications, can run sensorless vector and has built in braking circuity for an external braking resistor if needed. Programming is straight forward and would require minimal changes other than to specify the run and speed commands from an external source). Next step up, I probably would recommend the Hitachi WJ200, GS3, Invertek, etc. but the manuals and programming can be a bit overwhelming for first timers.

Back