What's new
What's new

Looking for a surge protector for my incoming service any recommendations?

Edster

Diamond
I'm upgrading my electrical service at the shop and I'd like to add a surge protector to the incoming mains to protect from external surges/lightning. Any recommendations or advice?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Depending on what panel you buy you can most likely buy a panel mounted surge supressor. Cutler hammer makes them (& just about everyone else). You just install it in a vacant spot in your panel. Easy as pie, and there is a nifty LED light that tells you if it is good. I've got them in my house & shop.

There are supressors that have a higher rating, but they are not panel mounted, you have a separate enclosure for the supressor. I'd only consider one if I lived somewhere with massive lightning. They are big bucks and a bit of a pain since they need a separate enclosure.

Keep it in mind that they won't protect you from SOV (sustained over voltage).
That is when the utility has a higher voltage line fall into a lower voltage line. Example, your shop is fed from a bank of transformers that are connected to a 12,470 volt circuit. Above that circuit is another, that operates at 69,000 volts. Some doofus wrecks his car, knocks down the 69,000 volt line into the 12,470 line. That is a SOV event. Your shop will momentarily see 5X the normal voltage. You can't protect against this kind of event without spending a bunch of money. Not worth it unless you are Microsoft.

Post your panel brand & model, I'll try to get you the right part number for a panel mounted arrestor.

Don't scrimp on ground rods.

Some electricians doubt the code prescription, and will double the number of rods.

There are (expensive) meters to measure the ground rod performance; keep that in mind. You should be able to rent one.

The rods NEED to be pounded in, not just laid in a trench, or dropped in a post hole and backfilled.

What sort of soil in the immediate area of service entrance?

Back