What's new
What's new

Nardini owners VFD or RPC?

Sendit

Aluminum
I've been reading about vfd and RPC to the point my head is spinning. I'm not getting a lot of his on owners and how they successfully power their on a single phase system. A converter has to be use obvious but how big. Not sure if the Nardini's can be ran on a VFD, since the VFD goes straight to the motor. It would seem that the VFD would bypass all the controls for the motor then?

I'm no vfd guru but i did a simple install on a 3hp 3ph vertical mill. Vfd output directly to motor and low voltage input controls to vfd for forward/stop/reverse and a potentiometer. If your handy with basica electrical stuff you can make it happen. With a lathe all you would need forward/reverse, jog, and maybe an E stop. Usually the carriage forward/reverse lever is just hooked to simple switches that you could wire right to the low voltage inputs on the vfd. You could set it up in a way that it looks like a factory install.

I run mu 14x40 Nardini on a rotary phase converter. It works very well for me.

One thing I like about the Nardini is it has a very good range of spindle speeds. A VFD would be an advantage if it did not.

I run mu 14x40 Nardini on a rotary phase converter. It works very well for me.

One thing I like about the Nardini is it has a very good range of spindle speeds. A VFD would be an advantage if it did not.

True,

Thanks for the intel. Are you able to use all the speeds or only low or high?

Would you mind sending me the info on the RPC?

A little late, but as the saying goes, better late ...... Just finished restoring (new to me)an old Nardini MS-350. Swapped out the original two speed motor and installed a single speed WEG 3hp three phase motor. Since I don't have three phase in my home, I went with a WEG VFD, works GREAT, total control of spindle speed now!
Ed

Attachments

• IMG_20160203_163827620.jpg
    IMG_20160203_163827620.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20160203_163941952.jpg
    IMG_20160203_163941952.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 107

Back