What's new
What's new

Wagner Electric Motor

gauder

Plastic
Hi guys. In the process of installing my "new to me, but quite old" lathe, it is time to wire the motor up. It is a Wagner Electric 2hp 1phase motor. Motor type RAJ, 220v, model W30JF4317. I can't find any info about this motor. I was hoping to wire it up to a switch that would allow me to reverse it. It has 4 wires, and 2 are wire nutted together. Does anyone know anything about these motors and if I can wire it to a reversing switch?

Thanks, Ryan

Wagner hasn't made motors in 50 years or so, they are part of an Automotive parts conglomerate now, making brake pads and such. That may explain why you can't find info on it. The best suggestion is to look at the motor and try to determine the TYPE of single phase motor it is (there are several, all different), then go on line to see if you can find a generic wiring diagram for that type of motor.
http://www.rses.org/assets/serviceapplicationmanual/620-37.pdf

But understand that not all 1 phase motors are set up to be reversed. Given that this thing is at least 50 years old, the winding insulation and/or capcitor(s) are likely deteriorated and may fail under use, so you might want to consider replacing it and starting fresh.

"Not set up to be reversed" means the wires needed were not brought out. They all exist inside the motor, but you might have to dig for them, and know what to look for, etc.

A newer motor seems very reasonable.

If there are 4 wires coming out, and 2 are wire nutted, it sounds very much like a 120/240 motor that is not made to be reversed. Presumably you wire to the 2 wires that are NOT already connected.

Thanks guys, I didn't really hold much hope for this. I have a 5 wire motor that has a diagram on it for cw or ccw rotation. I think I might use this motor and then use a reversign switch with it.

I have a 3hp motor as well, I'll post the wiring diagram on the motor. Can it be reversed with a switch?motor 1.jpgmotor 2.jpg

This motor may well be repulsion start, induction run. If so, it's reversed by
shifting the brush holders:

wagner1.jpg

wagner2.jpg

wagner3.jpg

In one photo you can see the two indicies that show fwd vs reverse.

I've had a couple Wagner motors. Both were fitted with a small lever at the rear which shifted the brush holder housing and enabled easy change of rotation. Always seemed like a great feature to me. Both motors looked exactly like the one pictured above. See if yours has this mechanical switch installed.

Back