What's new
What's new

Will My AB VFD fit my Mill

CrazyBillyBob

Plastic
Hi all,

I picked up a Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill at an auction. It has a 2HP 220/440 7A motor 3 Phase motor. Where I live I don't have access to 3 Phase, but I have 220V single phase right behind the machine. (the shaper next to it is 220V sp)

I have a Allen Bradley PowerFlex 4 Cat No. 22A-A8P0N104 Rated for 1.5Kw/2.0HP

Will this VFD work on the mill? I had originally picked it up for my 3/4HP lathe motor.... but the lathe is still in pieces.

Do I just keep it for the lathe? if so what should I be looking for? (Size, Brand, etc.) The reason I have the AB was the price was right. I'm open to any mfg.

Thanks,
CBB

Hi all,

I picked up a Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill at an auction. It has a 2HP 220/440 7A motor 3 Phase motor. Where I live I don't have access to 3 Phase, but I have 220V single phase right behind the machine. (the shaper next to it is 220V sp)

I have a Allen Bradley PowerFlex 4 Cat No. 22A-A8P0N104 Rated for 1.5Kw/2.0HP

Will this VFD work on the mill? I had originally picked it up for my 3/4HP lathe motor.... but the lathe is still in pieces.

Do I just keep it for the lathe? if so what should I be looking for? (Size, Brand, etc.) The reason I have the AB was the price was right. I'm open to any mfg.

Thanks,
CBB

Yes, that drive is designed as a single phase input, 3 phase output, for a 2HP 230V motor. It's exactly what you need.

We got lazy in our post...

Suggest confirming the application manual to confirm compatability.

Ours are single phase rated but the chart shows the derating.

Our SB lathe has 3 hp vfd on 2 hp motor and works great.

The bp has 1 hp vfd on 1 hp motor and it is fine until we need all of the torque then it has issues.

If the manual indicates no derating then great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back