What's new
What's new

wire gauge for my VFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAN Z

Aluminum
What is the proper wire gauge for a single ph 220v input? The VFD states the draw is 23amps max. The contact terminals & connectors that shipped with the VFD are blue for 16-14 gauge wire. This does not make sense. The VFD is for a 3ph/3hp motor 8.7amp draw. It seems to me that at a minimum I should be using 12 gauge wire.
What should I be doing?
Dan

Need more information please.

Distance and vfd model.

NEC lists number 12 wire is good for 20 amps and 10 for 30.

However there are common uses where this is pushed a bit as the maximum average power may be less and the 23 would be under full limited load or other such case where a number 12 or even 14 would be fine.

That being said....Use number 10.

Length of wire adds voltage drop and as current gets higher voltage drops more.

You can Google voltage drop calculator to determine your voltage drop for your installation.

Cost of wire not much different and you can get proper sized wire and connectors to properly install it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

LAPOND VFD Inverter 2.2KW 3HP 220V 10A. The distance will be about 25ft. normal I would wire with 10 gauge. my confusion comes from the size of the connection lugs on the VFD. They are so small that 10 gauge and even 12 gauge seems over sized. the Lugs are like 4-32 only metric.
Dan

Get some of these. #10-12 Awg #6 Stud

MVU10-6FFBK_sml.jpg

MVU1-6FFBK 3M | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

324578_sml.jpg

324578 TE Connectivity AMP Connectors | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

SAF Ω

You can get away with a smaller wire for a couple inches or so.

The fine wire has more copper and less air (welding cable is example) and is rated for more than normal wire.

There is a specific grade or code for that wire but cannot remember.

Be certian all connections are good and you should be okay.

To verify measure voltage at the connection point then load it and see if it drops much..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

What is the proper wire gauge for a single ph 220v input? The VFD states the draw is 23amps max. The contact terminals & connectors that shipped with the VFD are blue for 16-14 gauge wire. This does not make sense. The VFD is for a 3ph/3hp motor 8.7amp draw. It seems to me that at a minimum I should be using 12 gauge wire.
What should I be doing?
Dan

23 Amp draw takes 10g wire, Accept no substitue.

I'm not sure what you are referencing when you say "blue" Is that for the control wires?

Power in power out is so far removed from control wiring, even if only inches away in the VFD. ;-)

What should I be doing?
Dan
The NEC, in article 430.122, REQUIRES that the conductors feeding a VFD must be rated for 125% of the nameplate INPUT current of the VFD, regardless of the size of the motor it is controlling. If your VFD states that the max input current is 23A, then you are required to use conductors rated for 28.75A, no ifs ands or buts. That will be 10ga wire.

Colors of connectors mean absolutely nothing...

By the way, "Lapond" appears to be yet ANOTHER name iteration of the infamous "Huanyang" Chinese crap drive foisted on people by Amazon now instead of FleaBay. They are well know for being absolute garbage, no UL listing (because they would never pass) so complaining about their not meeting NEC standards for connector sizes is a moot point. Further discussions of Huanyang have been banned in this forum because they become endless descriptions of problems. You get what you pay for...

Thank you all for your responses. 10 gauge it is. And I realize that I was buying Chinese %$#* but budgets are budgets It will be use on a 3hp table saw. I will not be changing its speed so I figure the bulk of its electronics will stay static. I hope it stays up to the task. If I could afford what would you all recommend for the task?
Dan

Any Hitachi, Teco, Invertek, and some others will be reliable and satisfy all the safety agency stuff.

They are often available for not much more than your device cost you.

Yours may work fine, or fail tomorrow. But it DOES seem to be one that is "not supported here", so ..... closing......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back