What's new
What's new

Wire up a phase convertor

The usual way is to:
1. Ask specific question(s).
2. Attach diagrams with question(s)
3. Attach picture(s) with question(s).

I know a fellow that can wire that phase converter up for you. He goes on these boards by the name of cob. He will probably have to do some research to learn how to wire it up first though but I have no doubts that cob can learn how to do it.

Vlad

Ok sounds fair I give it shot.

I will be installing a 2 poll disconnect box to turn the phaze convertor on and off that way I won't use the breaker in my subpanel.
My first question is since I will be adding a 50 amp breaker for this phaze converter what size and type of disconnect 2 poll box should i buy?

A 60 A is pretty common. Alan Steel in Redwood City has some electrical stuff.
Home Depot has that size.
Halted Supply in Sunnyvale (45 miles from you) has used ones.

Ok sounds fair I give it shot.

I will be installing a 2 poll disconnect box to turn the phaze convertor on and off that way I won't use the breaker in my subpanel.
My first question is since I will be adding a 50 amp breaker for this phaze converter what size and type of disconnect 2 poll box should i buy?

The 60 amp pull disconnects are not intended for constant use and are pretty flimsy. If it were my machine I would just add a small sub panel and use another breaker for the switch or use a fused knife disconnect, like this one .

You need a 3 pole disconnect. 2 poles to pass your 240 to the phase converter and on to 2 of the 3 poles, the generated phase needs to go to the 3rd pole on the disconnect so when the disconnect is shut off all 3 poles are disconnect from the load side.

I was suggesting a 60 A 2 pole switch in front of the breaker.
From the breaker the power is controller with a 3 or 4 pole contactor.
The 4th pole or a auxiliary contact will be used in conjunction with push button start and stop switches.

L1,L2 on top goes through fuses and through the contactor. The generated phase passes back through the 3rd
set of points. The lower right of the drawing goes out to the machine motor.

DSC_0739.jpg

I think the details of the RPC should be given up.

Thanks for the replies
Bare with
I know I have to get this (Safety Switch, 240VAC, 3PST, 60 Amps AC
by SQUARE D)
Correct me if i am wrong basically I will wire up some number 6 wire from my subpanel (50amp breaker)to the safety switch box then from the box to the phase converter right?

Next question there is a spot on the phase convertor I can install a 30 amp 3 phase receptical. Is it better to install it on the wall or just install it on top of the phase converter?

Thank u

All depends on what kind of phase converter control you purchased or made.

In my case I have a 10hp Phase-Craft control panel controlling a 10 Hp motor. ( liked it so much I have a 20 hp on order.)

220 is supplied from the breaker box directly into the control box. The box has a push to start/stop button on the exterior of the box so I don't have to have a disconnect of any kind.

Phase-Craft recommended a fuse or breaker be installed between the control and motor for protection. Three wires lead from the control box, pass through a knife switch with three fuses and terminate at the motor. Three phase power exits the control box in a branch circute leading to all my machines. I have a fused knife switch at each machine for protection and to act as a disconnect for each machine.

I did place a receptacle just under the control box for a easy way to test new items. Just a standard handy box mounted to the wall. In the picture below I have a grinder plugged in that box.

20141201_211726_resized.jpg20141201_211659_resized.jpg

Watts to horsepower=> kW X 1.333=hp . So you have a 13-13.5hp idler.

30 amp would be a minimum breaker size feeder and 60 A would be your maximum. If you're looking for 250 V plug/outlet you are restricted to a 50 amp line. You'll need to run provisions for a 60 amp line. But only have a 50 and amp breaker. (There is a special order 60 amp plug/outlet if you're willing to spend close to $300 for the pair.) so 50 amp breaker feeding #6g minimum, feeding RPC, feeding three phase panel or fused disconnect, #8g 30A Max.

I generally like to play one size up on the wire, and let the breakers/fuses do their thing.

The NEC suggests under article 455.6 that the feeder line should not be less than 125% of idler. This puts you in a feeder line of #4g, since the amp draw could be 1.73 multiple of single phase. But the NEC suggests that under 455 that you should be 2.5 times greater or under the sum of "total" three phase equipment. This is crazy, if you're adequately fuse before the feed line and your feedline is more then robust. But if you fall under 255, play it safe, and make sure your provisions are adequate on your feedline.

More information might be needed to what you're really trying to power.

Last edited:
Here's some pictures also this machine has a transformer image.jpgimage.jpg
I will be installing a blade shut off switch at the top then the 30 amp receptical on the bottom that's were the machine will plug in.
Let me know what you guys think

use a single phase magnetic starter of the appropriate hp rating.
wire from the circuit breaker to the starter then into the rpc single phase side.

thats how my 30hp america rotary came.
their web site has instructions on how to wire one up.
now for my 7.5 hp phase perfect I just use a 20A 240V light switch

the magnetic starter is designed to switch large motors and such also gives it a soft start

72bwhite has good advise.
Another thing is you should make a circuit drawing of the connections in that box.
Then make some notes about the requirements of the metal working machine.
Too me it looks like a pile of capacitors. There appears to be quite a bit of improvement
you can do. Doing something like this is the first idea I have.

Full-voltage-non-reversing-3-phase-motors.jpg

BTW, a magnetic starter by itself does not give a soft start.

I suggest that you go visit a few places for parts. All are within 10 minutes of each other off of HW 101.

HSC in Sunnyvale
Weird Stuff in Sunnyvale (Close to Lockeed/Martin & Moffet Field)
Bay Breakers in San Jose

Thanks for the replies
Got sick for a while so here I again.
I called a couple of electrician and they have never hooked a 3 phase to single phase that's (odd)
So I did I research on the forum to see how other people have done this and I found one
This is basically what I what to do please let me know what you think and should I just purchase the same RPC this guy bought.
Thanks for the locatin on those store

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Cob; It's not unusual for a Journeyman electrician to not experience phase converters. Many Electricians don't believe that phase converters will work. By the way, you might want to not turn your camera vertical when taking a pic. Makes them a bit difficult to read. Good luck.

JH

Back