What's new

Wiring 460 to 220 quote....$1250?????

mkd

Stainless
wanted to get experienced people's opinion:
460 in our facility
mori mill rated at over 200 amps@220
machine shipped with transformer.
99% chance seller had 460 in house (lol major assumption)
heavy wire is already run to the transformer which is stacked on top of machine

scope of work:
purchase appropriate sized wire and connect to CNC terminal ; less tan 6 foot run.
run conduit from transformer to CNC roughly 3 foot run.
connect/test/ flip the stupid switch

should this cost $1250?????
i was thinking $600-800

hmmm?:scratchchin:

no idea, but the machine placard only mentions 220v

40Hp/15000prm 50 taper... sheesh, hope it'll run a 3/8drill haha

Perhaps the electrician misunderstood you?

I'm not sure I understand the steps you expect.

If there isn't a disconnect, that will be needed. And it will need to be 600 volt class.

Are you obligated to GFCI for the machine? That will cost also.

Are you dropping down from a buss duct? Those switches aren't cheap, especially if no longer in production.

You are paying for what they know, not what they do. Having said that, anytime you need a license to do a job it is a license to steal. That is what those of us whose work doesn't require a license like to say. Could be just jealousy.

Perhaps the electrician misunderstood you?

I'm not sure I understand the steps you expect.

If there isn't a disconnect, that will be needed. And it will need to be 600 volt class.

Are you obligated to GFCI for the machine? That will cost also.

Are you dropping down from a buss duct? Those switches aren't cheap, especially if no longer in production.

not much to misunderstand, after he looked at the machine.
a little wire, conduit, knowledge and time. About as stone simple of an electrical job there is... an i'm no electrician.

40 HP?

Seriously unusual to be 220 only.

Worth getting more expert eyes directly onto that motor, and Real Soon Now.

Bill

220v@270amps on the palcard. Holy crap, right?:cheers:
not bad for 58 cent/lb at auction.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but if it's that stone simple you should DIY.
LOL, i deserved that. Actually the time dicking around with these premadonnas would be better served doing the dang thing myself but my partner wants someone with insurance just in case. It's his facility...so..

Anyone wanna comment on the price?

220v@270amps on the palcard. Holy crap, right?:cheers:
not bad for 58 cent/lb at auction.

Quote seems reasonable. A 3 pole 175A breaker's not cheap, even a few feet of heavy gage copper wire's going to cost a chunk of change, and 600V (vs. 300V) switchgear and wiring practices are expensive, so quite seems reasonable. Can't hurt to get a second quote though.

Anyone wanna comment on the price?

Dunno. Where I am in Virginia, I'd not blink, done up proper, inspection arranged and passed. Then again, it was Big Corp, paranoid, legal-eagles, no DIY or shortcuts even considered.

Elsewhere, YOUR estimate could hold.

What part of California, how strict the inspectors, and how tight is the market for commercial sparkies?

This week. Not last time you had similar stuff done if that is a year and more back.

Bill

Quote seems reasonable. A 3 pole 175A breaker's not cheap, even a few feet of heavy gage copper wire's going to cost a chunk of change, and 600V (vs. 300V) switchgear and wiring practices are expensive, so quite seems reasonable. Can't hurt to get a second quote though.
Devil is in the details. I pretty sure a 150 amp breaker already exists, as we are reusing an existing run of 460 from a previous tenant...and it's already run into the transformer.
.:scratchchin:
150 amp 460 breaker should be enough for 300 amps of 220, right?

600-800 even sounds high, that's 1000 CDN. not counting travel time i'd hope for $300 bill if just labour. Materials, I'd be guessing.

Maybe its priced at stupid rate per hour because they are busy, the only thing to do is get more quotes.

Once you introduce a transformer you need to calculate disconnects/breakers and feeders based on that. Lots of rules and details to follow, unassuming you are doing it correctly and getting a permit?

Here electricians are billed out $150/hr plus, and travel/truck time including getting materials etc. If it take more than 1/2 day you can be sure they are looking to recover a day rate. I wouldn't see that price out of line. I just paid $49K (competitive bid) for 750 sq foot retail build out. 30kva transformer plus lights, distribution. and hvac hookup.

Round here you don't need permits except to run new service to new construction.

Permits are largely a function of collecting property taxes. They only care when you do something that increases the value of your property.

Once you introduce a transformer you need to calculate disconnects/breakers and feeders based on that. Lots of rules and details to follow, unassuming you are doing it correctly and getting a permit?

Here electricians are billed out $150/hr plus, and travel/truck time including getting materials etc. If it take more than 1/2 day you can be sure they are looking to recover a day rate. I wouldn't see that price out of line. I just paid $49K (competitive bid) for 750 sq foot retail build out. 30kva transformer plus lights, distribution. and hvac hookup.

750 ft^2...$49k... holy crap :willy_nilly:

Are you familiar with the concept of price fixing?

Back