What's new
What's new

Way Ot

gpkull

Cast Iron
EE needed on isle 15. 12 ft cannoo. mini party barge with 2 batts to feed trolling motor. i know DC is different. should we run #1 out then hit#2 for the way back or should we gang em up from departure and run watt u brung? the 1/2 way rule is for beverages only

Range-wise, it depends on other things.... wind, currents, etc.

If you run outbound on battery 1 to the bitter end, with the wind, you will be rowing on the way back, most likely. The same energy won't push you back against the wind.

It's also a bad idea to run most any battery totally dead, it leads to short battery life.

I think XX is more appropriate...

'cause XX is the name of a very-southern beer....

I'd say... fit the party-barge with a lawnmower engine driving a 55A alternator... that way the 'battery-electric' rule has been circumvented... If the constable raises a fuss, tell him that it's a generator to run your margarita blender

Your topic title is utterly worthless..you might as well have put 'XX'

Quite true....... I'd have had a different attitude if the subject didn't turn out to be unusual/interesting. Not actually a bad title, even if a bit lacking in direct relation to the subject......... it surely IS "Way OT"....... But it's been a bit tame here.

im sorry for the way the original post was worded. the vessel is not taken out in anymore than a little breeze as our umbrellas would fly and 9 times out of 10 launched headed upstream so we dont paddle. i wanted to know should 2 batts be in parallel or run 1 down first then hit #2. they are close in capacity and have powered for up to 4 hrs up and coast back with the flow when both were tired. again sorry for the confusion

If you come back with the current, you can be lots more adventurous...... a full battery for the return would be plenty and to spare.

Sounds like all you really need for the return is to keep steerageway, so you probably could go 3/4 of a charge upstream, and still have enough for maneuvering and keeping the pointy end forward, plus getting over to landing.

Back