What's new
What's new

Wiring Drum Switch to the Teco L510

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Up and running, but want to use the drum switch for fwd/off/rev as I've always done (control wiring, not power).

I'm a bit confused by the manual here; if you refer to page 4-32 (66 of 152 on the PDF) it refers to the "two wire control method Mode 1" which I think is what I want to use here...

https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/Manuals/L510_instruction_manual.pdf

But why do they call it "two wire"- don't I have to run a third wire (com) to the drum switch in addition to the other two?

In case I've got it all wrong- which is a distinct possibility- how would I connect the drum switch for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Up and running, but want to use the drum switch for fwd/off/rev as I've always done (control wiring, not power).

I'm a bit confused by the manual here; if you refer to page 4-32 (66 of 152 on the PDF) it refers to the "two wire control method Mode 1" which I think is what I want to use here...

https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/Manuals/L510_instruction_manual.pdf

But why do they call it "two wire"- don't I have to run a third wire (com) to the drum switch in addition to the other two?

In case I've got it all wrong- which is a distinct possibility- how would I connect the drum switch for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes you need three wires to the drum switch - one is common. You want to use two wire, mode 1 for this. Oddly the manual text shows
a diagram for two wire mode 2 which is apparently incorrect. The second mode uses two switches, one for on/off and the
other fwd/rev.

In any event use the first two wire mode and the drum switch basically needs to be set up as a center off SPDT switch. Different
drum switches wire differently but the goal is to have the common wire touch either the fwd or rev wire as it is swung from side to
side, no connections in the center, and the two side wires never touch each other no matter what position the switch is in.

Back