What's new
What's new

Wiring a Farm Duty, Single Phase, 240v motor with thermal overload

Gunny65

Plastic
I purchased a RDI-RS-TF-145T-4-B-C-1.5-CC Farm Duty dual voltage motor. I want to hook the wiring up using the 220v option. I checked techtopind dot com and most of the data for this motor is blank. The manual that came with the motor does not match the data plate motor wiring guide mounted on the motor. What makes it a little harder, for me, is none of the wires match normal color codes for 220v wiring. I contacted the company via email and have not received a reply in over a week. So, I am coming to you guys.

I am trying to wire this motor for high voltage, CCW rotation, using a standard 4 wire (red, black, white, green) cable. Just to be sure I have this correct, Red-hot, Black-hot, White-neutral, Green-ground. I am also adding in a 220v compatible Start/Stop switch.

I am assuming that CCW rotation is viewed as if looking from the rear of the motor forward? That is the way I am understanding it. Let me know if I am wrong.

The wiring color codes and designators in this motor are:

P1-Blue

P2-black
- P1 and P2 are connected to the thermal overload switch.

There is no T1

T2-White

T3-orange

T4-yellow

T5-Black

There is no T6 or T7

T8-Red

Help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Attached are the pictures of the motor data plate and the wiring box.

If the direction of the motor is determined from a front view, looking at the output shaft, then I would need to wire it for CW rotation. I thought it was from the rear of the motor but I am new to working on these.Motor data plate.jpgMotor wiring.jpg

I think motor rotation is determined from a front on view of the motor shaft..from the front, not the back.

Stuart

Hello Atomarc
I don't know about ALL motors, but the Mexican ones are viewed from the "Lead End".:confused: I thought that meant facing the shaft end. Nope!!! Had to rewire. "Lead End" as in the end closer to where the wires are coming in. That was the back end. Now I'm not sure which end the Chinaman looks from???:confused::confused::confused:

Connect one hot leg to P1
Connect one hot leg to T4
Connect P2 to T8
Connect T2, T3, T5
Flip T5 and T8 if you don't like the rotation

Hello Gunny65

Does this help?

IMG_0981.jpg

This is for a Mexican motor wired for 230 volt turning CW looking from the backside. To change to CCW swap the black & the red wires.

PS: As done in Canada.

And the white wire isn't used in this situation. You could have just used 2-conductor with a ground (black/white/green) and used red tape or marker on the white, to indicate it as a hot.

Don't get hung up on the CW/CCW issue, technically you can't tell in advance, unless someone already hooked it up and marked it. As stkbgr said, hook it up and if it spins the wrong direction, change 5 and 8.

Connect one hot leg to P1
Connect one hot leg to T4
Connect P2 to T8
Connect T2, T3, T5
Flip T5 and T8 if you don't like the rotation

This worked. It was CW while looking from the front/CCW looking from the rear. This is what the data plate showed but since it didn't match the manual I figured I would be safe and ask. Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks to everyone else as well.

And the white wire isn't used in this situation. You could have just used 2-conductor with a ground (black/white/green) and used red tape or marker on the white, to indicate it as a hot.

wawoodman, are you saying the white, neutral, wire should just be capped off? I hope so, that is what I did and it worked. No smoke, not pops, no electrocutions. :)

Yes. Or, you could have used the white, properly marked, and not the red. the point is, you only need two wires carrying the current in this situation.

Back