What's new
What's new

12 motor leads, no diagram

southernmenace

Aluminum
I thought that I would start a new post for this, although it is in reference to the 25hp phase converter mentioned in one of my recent posts. This RPC that I purchased, came with absolutely no identifying marks on the motor. I only presume that it is 25hp because that is what I was told by the man who sold it to me.

In dealing with some other issues, I realized that there were 12 leads going into the motor, and they were all connected. Is this right? There are no markings on the wires, except 600v, but this is on most of the wires, and I assume it is the wires rating.

I would think that these wires would be for several different voltages, but I have no way of knowing what voltages, and which wires.

Any advise?

Piece of cake! Generally, a 12 lead motor is a dual voltage motor. Star config for one voltage and Delta for the other. You will be able to find the layout one google. They are generally held to a standard. As long as your wires are numbered, you are all good. I have had to reterminate motors where all the wires got chopped off and that gets a bit tougher but your situation should be easy.

EDIT: after reading closer, looks like you may be missing the lead numbers. You will need to do a web search for a tech document to re-terminate the motor. You will need a battery source to induce a small voltage on the individual coils and test other leads with a meter. Will take very little time but needs to be done right.

Check the leads closely, usually they are marked with the lead number somewhere along the lead printed at the same time that 600V was marked on them.

If the majority of the leads have numbers the others can be identified easily with a meter.

If it is a general electric motor, you may be able to get a diagram on it. I was surprised when I called them about 2 years ago about a motor on a fellows gear shaper (1943 model) and the gentleman at ge actually e-mailed me the original schematic on it. I was impressed to say the least.

Thanks for the responses guys, but it seems that I am still in the same spot. There are no markings of any kind on either the motor, or the wires. The little bit of text that is on the wires is just wire text, ie. voltage, AWG, brand, etc.

Is there a generic way to "ring" out the wires inside a motor to determine what voltage it requires? What could be the negative effects of this motor being wired into all of its leads?

Unless it is a two speed motor which is highly unlikely in a RPC ALL motor leads are wired up and connected in any dual voltage motor 12 lead motor. Check out the wiring diagrams at the site linked above.

Here's how you do it:

Here's how you do it:

Get a 120v isolation transformer, SIX different colors of tape, and a continuity tester... Ohmmeter with a beeper, etc. Get three plastic light-socket boxes, nail 'em to a 2x4, install plastic bulb-sockets, and install some 4W-15w bulbs

Pick a wire, hook it up. Go through EVERY_OTHER_WIRE 'till you find the other end of that winding. Mark each with a different color of tape.

Now, all you have to do, is determine which WAY the wires are facing, and which winding of the low-side corresponds to the winding of the HIGH side.

Take three sets of wires... hook a 120v light bulb to each pair.

Put a line-cord on your 120v isolation transformer, and put the output of the isolation transformer to ONE of your 'spare' pairs of wire. Power up the transformer. ONE of the bulbs SHOULD light up brighter than the rest. Unplug transformer, and MARK the pairs so they have some 'associating' marks. Repeat with the remaining pairs. You now know which winding corresponds it's 'brother'.

Last... phasing. Take a pair of 'brothers'. Pick one wire from each 'brother', hook it to your lamp. Take the other two, hook it to your transformer. If the lamp lights, the windings are in-phase. If not, flip one winding's wires... lamp SHOULD light. Mark 'em, and wire 'em together temporarily.

Consult the standard 12-wire diagrams you've probably already seen. You'll have to assign numbers to the leads... start by picking the 'first' layer of three (1,2,3) then label the other ends of those windings, then mark the 'brother' windings' 'near' end, then the 'far' end.

Yes, it's possible to really screw 'em up, but hard not to 'see' that you've screwed 'em up. Give it your best shot (don't shock yourself with the isolation transformer), and if you can't get it, carry the motor to your friendly local electric-motor shop, and ask them to 'ring 'em out for 'ya.

more info pls

you said that the motor is already wired so the hard work is done. if u can tell us what the wires look like...are there 3 sets of 2 wires hooked together. the incoming leads are they are they joined to 1 or 2 wires. is there a group of 3 wires. if u can tell us then we can tell u if its high or low voltage

"I would think that these wires would be for several different voltages, but I have no way of knowing what voltages, and which wires."

3 phase is diffrent from single phase. u should never end up with phase wires (not counting 2 small blue wires) that are not joined to something. theres normally only 2 settings high or low voltage.

i wouldnt have thought u would have come across a odd ball motor so theres no need to exsplain all the other possibilitys. for those who like odd balls i can across a 800v high 480v low last month....had to call the motor manufactor as i had never heard of 800v turned out to be a special and only 5 in the usa...they have no idea how we got sent one

Last edited:

Back