What's new
What's new

1ph 240- 3ph 575

RIFF-RAFF

Plastic
I recently purchased an Ex-cell-o mill that uses a 2hp 575v motor and I only have 1ph 240 power.Can anyone provide me with the best means of converting my 1ph 240 to 3ph 575?Would this VFD ( http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drives/AC+Drives/Variable+Torque+VFD/X200-022NFU.html ) do the trick and then bump up the voltage with a transformer or should I bump up the voltage first then through a VFD?What VFD should I use and what transformer?Thanks for any help.

Frank

Do you need/want the variable speed that the V.F.D. provides ?

If not here is a discussion on using a rotary and a xformer.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=177756

I read that thread you mentioned but found nothing on rotary phase converters.Also,that thread was about going from 240 3ph to 460 3 phase where no phase converter is needed.I need to go from 240 1ph to 575 3ph.Can anyone help out a newb?:confused:Thanks.

Frank

"I read that thread you mentioned but found nothing on rotary phase converters.Also,that thread was about going from 240 3ph to 460 3 phase where no phase converter is needed"

Uhm, I was sure it covered it, could be wrong though...

The debate was over changing it up to 440-460 as 1-phase, and then
either using a VFD or a rotary at that point, OR making 3-phase at
220-240 with a rotary and then using a xformer to step it up to 440-460.

You'll note my comments are that I step up to both 440-460 AND 575-600.

I actually do 440-460 in one shop for a jig bore, 575 in another shop
for a radial drill, and the latest is 575 in another bay for a lathe.
(all 3 separate transformers)

Yes the waters got muddyed by other factors like how to use 2 single phase
xformers, and "y" and delta windings, and passing thru grounds and such.

I went through this last year. I don't much need or want to afford VFD's for most of my machines, and already have the homemade 3ph convertor for the shop. Here is my experience with using a transformer to get to 550 - 575v from ~230V single phase input.

Many people think a buck boost transformer would be a better solution. It might be. but my system works fine for me, 15HP total available motors, though most likely seldom more than 5HP +/- in use at any one time with only me running the machine. I use it for production work, so it has to be reliable. As noted in the article, it is somewhat under voltage under load, but no downsides for my work. (The fact that undervoltage is not a "problem" if one does not need the full rated HP has been discussed many times in the past on PM).

Anyway, use good judgement & safe practices, consider other opinions, and make your own choice. My cheap approach is reliable and works for me.

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=34446&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=transformer&start=15

smt

If you want a 575V vfd and a transformer to go with it (to get the single phase 575V)I can set you up for $550 for both. I am in Kitchener. I have this arrangement on many machines in my shop.

[email protected]

Heya Stan,

I've spoken to you before about that setup you mentioned (answered your Kijiji ad).I figured I could get my motor rewound for 230 3ph and eliminate the need for a transformer for around $50-$100 more.

Frank

My experience with motor rewinding is that it is not cheap. If you find someone who will rewind it for less than $300 let me know, I could use his services on occasion.

My experience with motor rewinding is that it is not cheap. If you find someone who will rewind it for less than $300 let me know, I could use his services on occasion.

I shopped around and so far prices ranged anywhere from $800 plus down to $350.All the quotes I received included all new bearings as well.

Frank

I am building a homemade phase convertor myself.I would like to know how Stephen Thomas determined the values for the balancing capacitors. Was there a method to your madness or was it just trial and error untill you got it right?

Back