What's new
What's new

Clausing 1500 lathe run on vfd?

Paid in full

Plastic
I have a clausing 1500 variable speed lathe I want to run on a vfd . I have read many threads on here but haven't found one that's simular to what I am doing , probably is one just haven't found it. So instead of hijacking someone's thread I'm starting my own .my lathe has very simple wiring just wires in to a forward, stop, reverse switch then to the motor not other electrical . The variable speed is completely hydrolic no electrical and the the brake lever is connected to a friction clutch that stops the spindle and the motor keeps turning . If I wire the vfd straight to the motor then wire the forward,stop,reverse switch to the vfd I can still use my hydrolic veriable speed control that's on the lathe and the brake lever without harming the vfd right? All the threads on here I've found have to do with variable speed and lever or foot brakes that are electric diffference being mine are not .

Here are some manual pages about the wiring hareness , variable speed , and brake lever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 307
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 377
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 584
Yes, you can do it exactly as you describe. That lathe is a very simple install for a drive because of it's clutched (and brake) headstock. I ran one exactly like that at work for many years.

Stuart

I set up a 59xx for a friend Yep, the VFD will need to be told to 'start', and depending on which brand/model, you may need to connect control wiring to tell it so, and likely even specify direction of run when you do.

you'll also want to signal the VFD to STOP prior to throwing your motor switch to reverse...

I suspect that once you have the VFD setup, you'll find that it's much more convenient to adjust speed with the VFD, than to mess with the hydraulic vari-belt system... and even moreso, that when the hydraulic-over-vari-belt fails, that the VFD makes it irrelevant. You'll also find that a VFD's dynamic braking operation and reversing is much smoother.

Set the vari-belt to a fairly low range, and program the VFD to go to about 150hz, and you'll find you never lack low-end torque, or an upper end speed limitation.

I have the same machine(s). My intent is to do the same. The drive is simple to remove from the machine so one of my thoughts has been to remove the Reeves components and replace with fixed belts. However I like the idea of simply setting the drive as Dave says above. That might be the new plan A since it eliminates the flaky hydraulic master/slave system.

As to reverse just use the drive controls for reverse. The drive shouldn't Plug if the designers have their ducks in the proverbial row.

Back