What's new
What's new

dual idler rpc question

JimmyD

Aluminum
I have been looking through the archives here and have a few questions . I currently have a 10hp rpc that I built . I recently bought a larger lathe that needs more power to spin it up in the higher speeds . Most of the past discussions talk about using a smaller idler to start the larger idler , is ther any problem doing the reverse ? I would like to keep my 10hp as the main rpc and be able to "switch in " a 5hp when I run the lathe . I think I understand how I need to wire it up and might have a starter in the cabinet for this . If I don't have the starter I'm thinking of would a contactor work ok for this ? Thanks Jim

"Most of the past discussions talk about using a smaller idler to start the larger idler , is ther any problem doing the reverse ?"

No, not a problem.

Starting a 5 HP idler and then starting larger idler(s) thereafter is usually recommended as an economy measure as 5 HP RPCs are the largest which can be made automatically starting while using only a Steveco 90-66 potential relay.

If the other RPCs also have a potential relay type starter, possibly assisted by a larger contactor in the case of an RPC which was larger than 5 HP, then the other RPCs would immediately sense the "pick" voltage on the B phase and inhibit throwing their starting circuit across the line.

Back