What's new
What's new

Hisey Wolf grinder data plate voltage?

Shawn Ghormley

Stainless
The front data plate is marked 440 V, three phase only. I removed the small junction box rear plate cover and it has a diagram for low/high voltage. A friend owns an motor repair shop and told my they don't always mark the data plate with both voltages. He asked how many wires it has and I stated nine, he said it should work on 240v three phase--- and it does. Has anyone else ran into this situation?

Yes, and it seems to be especially common with big grinders for some reason. Just remember this when you see those big 440v. grinders about to sell real cheap at the next auction :)

I am refurbishing an old Hisey-Wolf 10 in. grinder. The plate says 240 vac 3 phase but when you look at the wire config. it is also possible to wire for 440 vac 3 ph.. My motor guys pointed this out. It runs smooth & quiet. I plan on using a VFD to run the 3 phase from a single phase supply. Got this one for 150.00 from a Good Will E-commerce store....they had no idea what they had. Sweet !!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 458
Finally 'bout finished with Hisey-Wolf Grinder model S20...type 3LA...s/n# 218840. These grinders are really built to last....I am sad to be selling it (in a way). I used a Teco variable freq. drive as you can see in pics. If the video loads , or, you PM me for it, the first noise you hear is the 220 vac fan under motor mounting to keep VFD cool and dust from entering the mounting. The motor sits atop a 10 ga. plate, then atop two rectangular tubes(1" x 2") for height so air blows out sides with an alarming force...really should cool nicely(I cut a 4 in. hole in bottom of 1 in. plywood base to let air in mildly, besides the small risers on all base sides allow air in without a hard in-draft) I placed a blue filter panel inside base of pedestal.
The glass was replaced with same type(two pane with laminate between). Light bulb sockets are new style due to old ones cracked/broken. Light switches are new toggle(couldn't find 7330K2)with home made brackets.
The build/refurbish was fun.....need X axis power feed for my Bridgeport or I wouldn't sell this gem. Notice the motor is slightly diff. color than cover fixtures....painted motor as old school motor color....other grey has slight bluing in it and is my shop grey tone. Black on pedestal is Por 15. Other black is Hammerite . The rests are being sand blasted at this time will be in final "For Sale" pics. I wanted to mill off the uneven surfaces from yrs. of use
Now, on to the Dries & Krump finger brake debacle .
Thanks for viewing & comments along the way.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg