What's new
What's new

how do i switch Fwd and Rev on mill??

vettepicking

Hot Rolled
i have a sharp 3 phase mill at work. the drum switch is backwards (fwd is rev, rev is fwd). i took the cover off and its wired how the drawings says is correct . how do i make the switch go Fwd when switched to fwd? 3hp 3phase 220v knee mill with a cutler hammer f/r switch. thanks

thanks , are we talking about line-1-2-3 coming from the wall to the switch.... or motor wires-1-2-3 to the switch . i just want to be sure. or can i switch the 2 of the 3 wires in the breaker box to the mill?

vettepicking,

Swap positions on any two of the three line side wires to accomplish your task. Pick the most convenient to access...it doesn't have to be in the junction box on the motor, anywhere that is easily accessible.

EDIT. We are talking motor wiring.

Stuart

ok but the junction box on the motor has m1 m2 m3 wires not l1 l2 l3 wires. line is from the wall to the switch . m wires are from the switch to the motor . right? this isnt my mill so i need to be clear on this. thanks guys

It does not matter what the wires are labelled or where you do it; if you simply exchange two of the three wires in a three phase supply any motors will run the opposite way. You can do it at the motor, drum switch and three phase switch, the plug if it is a plug-in machine or the breaker at the distribution panel. Although if you switch the breaker wires and it is feeding another motor that one will run the other way.

It does not matter what the wires are labelled or where you do it; if you simply exchange two of the three wires in a three phase supply any motors will run the opposite way. You can do it at the motor, drum switch and three phase switch, the plug if it is a plug-in machine or the breaker at the distribution panel. Although if you switch the breaker wires and it is feeding another motor that one will run the other way.

Great thanks everyone , now i wont burn the shop down! :D

That is correct.

On a three phase motor, you have three connections to the motor windings... commonly marked L1, L2, L3, / A, B, and C / M1, M2, M3 / X, Y, Z, etc.

Just unhook any two and swap 'em.

DK :-)

Back