Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thermite

Thread: Looking for a company to manufacture custom DC control

  1. #1
    ORAGRAG is offline Aluminum
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota
    Posts
    128

    Default Looking for a company to manufacture custom DC control

    I am looking for a manufacture to build/design a custom 120VDC drive for a boat winch drive that we build. We are currently using reversing contactors and would like to go to solid state with soft start. Current draw around 10 amps. Anyone know of a qualified company that would do this kind of thing?

  2. #2
    Philabuster's Avatar
    Philabuster is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    120v DC? If you mean 12v DC, then an off the shelf Alltrax AXE 2434 DC motor controller would work great.

    Alltrax AXE Products Page

  3. #3
    ORAGRAG is offline Aluminum
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    120v DC? If you mean 12v DC, then an off the shelf Alltrax AXE 2434 DC motor controller would work great.

    Alltrax AXE Products Page
    I need 120VDC and most likely need custom design. Usage will be 2,000 pieces per year.

  4. #4
    Philabuster's Avatar
    Philabuster is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ORAGRAG View Post
    I need 120VDC and most likely need custom design. Usage will be 2,000 pieces per year.
    What is the input voltage and is it AC or DC?

  5. #5
    SBAER is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kitchener, on canada
    Posts
    451

  6. #6
    mike_kilroy's Avatar
    mike_kilroy is offline Stainless
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Farmersville, oh (Dayton/Cinti area)
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    pm sent -- g

  7. #7
    JST's Avatar
    JST
    JST is online now Diamond
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    Does it have to be DC?

    There might be advantages to not doing DC..........

  8. #8
    thermite is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic USA, South China
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ORAGRAG View Post
    I am looking for a manufacture to build/design a custom 120VDC drive for a boat winch drive that we build. We are currently using reversing contactors and would like to go to solid state with soft start. Current draw around 10 amps. Anyone know of a qualified company that would do this kind of thing?
    Dockside/slipside/boat shed .. shore-based service?

    Or seagoing use?

    Driven motor specs? Wound or PM? HP?

    Bill

  9. #9
    DaveKamp is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    LeClaire, Ia
    Posts
    2,601

    Default Four components...

    Bridge rectifier, polarity switch, series resistor, timer relay... and a power-off contactor to shunt the motor leads for dynamic braking... and done!

  10. #10
    thermite is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic USA, South China
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post
    Bridge rectifier, polarity switch, series resistor, timer relay... and a power-off contactor to shunt the motor leads for dynamic braking... and done!
    Sure wouldn't want to rely on that combo for responsiveness if hoisting cargo or trimming sails....

    Nor necessarily on a typical 'DC Drive', either. Marine environment? Salt-spray? Immersion? Near-miss lightning strikes?

    This app MAY need to be fail-safe or no-fail, AND fast to repair without spares ... even if that means imperfectly smooth..

    This is not a new challenge, BTW... Not by close-on a hundred years and counting.

    ignator likes this.

  11. #11
    mhaney is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AR, USA
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Shaw Engineering, Rogers AR. I think he can help.

    rick@shaweng.net

    mhaney

  12. #12
    ORAGRAG is offline Aluminum
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Dockside/slipside/boat shed .. shore-based service?

    Or seagoing use?

    Driven motor specs? Wound or PM? HP?

    Bill
    Not looking to design the drive on the forum. Just looking to see if any members know of a manufacture that we can work with.

  13. #13
    thermite is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic USA, South China
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ORAGRAG View Post
    Not looking to design the drive on the forum. Just looking to see if any members know of a manufacture that we can work with.
    Among a community this size?

    Dozens. Maybe even hundreds. One or three of them might even be a fit to your needs.

    If we knew more than '120VDC drive for a boat winch drive we build'.

    Given the broad nature, I'd suggest these folks as having all the right credentials, motors, drives, and controls alike, though they are as much Engineers, designers, specifiers, and integration contractors as OEM manufacturers these days:

    Ward Leonard - Excellence In Motor and Control Solutions

    U.S Navy has been a repeat customer for a hundred or so years, so they seem to know their stuff as to working around the water.

    Or under it.



    Bill

  14. #14
    ORAGRAG is offline Aluminum
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota
    Posts
    128

    Default

    I have made contact with several of the members recommendations and now just need to pick one out to work with. Thanks for everyone's help.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •