What's new
What's new

More caps. needed?

Pete Allan

Plastic
Been lurking here for many years -- learned a lot. Any way I built a converter about a year ago and put a meter to it today. I have a 5 HP idler with 60 MF on each leg both connected to the mfged (B) leg. No load I have A-C 244 A-B 259 C-B 242 then With it running a 1 HP motor I have A-C 244 A-B 244 C-B 233. Looks like to me I need a sm. amount of MF added to th C-B leg am I right? Could someone give me a wild guess as roughly how much MF to add. Very shortly I will be adding a 7.5 HP motor to the load side but this will only run only seldom to never in a normal week so I am adding an additional 5 HP idler that can be kicked in when needed. I will be ordering the same caps for the add on idler so I thought I would ask questions now and order every thing at once.
Thanks

You are going for a hell of a ride unless you draw a chart with caps versus voltage
readings. Use a few 10uf & 20uf caps. You can get it dialed in so that line to line
readings are better than 1%. I got 0.5%, really. Just conduct the testing using the
tool motor that is used the most.

Thanks for the advice Joe and Rons. I added 20 uf to C-B and with a 1 hp load I came up with A-C 240 A-B 248 C-B 238. Next time I order something from Surplus Center I will get some caps to play with and see if I can get the voltage closer. Being Scotch I didn't start with a big enough cabinet to add additional caps so I guess I will have to add one below.
After I get my add on 5 hp idler wired in I will post what readings I get then.

Back