What's new
What's new

Need a 3 phase switch

Leigh B

Cast Iron
I bought a used DustKop dust collector from a local guy (not the one I bought from you Jonney). It is 3 phase, 1 1/2 hp motor, I plan to run it with my RPC. He is using a standard 2 pole light switch to turn the thing on and off. He is interrupting 2 legs of the 3 phase. This can't be good. My question is how should I wire this? I would like to have a remote switch, the unit is outside the shop in an attached room, but I would like to start it from inside the shop. Any suggestions on a good switch to use?

My guess is that you are looking for a manual 3 phase starter. My favorite is from Square D. Do a search on eBay for Square D Manual Motor Starter. They are cheap and very easy to install. Here is a sample part number from eBay.
Square D Model # 2510MBG2
Hope that helps. K.

The manual started is the best idea or more expensive way is a motor controller, which you may be able to pick up used from an eletrician.

A motor starter, gives you motor protection and a low voltage switching if you go with the 24 volt transformer. Then you and use thermostat wire to HOA switch or momentary start stop switch, "you can buy them as accessories to the square d motor controller or figure out your own" depending on the distance of course.

The other way might me a three pole switch and wire it with standard 14/3 to your remote location and then to your panel. I guess you motor has thermal protection on it already?
hope this helps. kevin

3 pole contactor

This is simple, you need a 3 pole contactor rated for minimum of 1.5 times the motor label amps. The coil voltage is up to you, depends on what you prefer, 24 vac may be compatible with automatic control systems . Mount the contactor anywhere in the circuit path, install the control switch where it is handy, or connect to gate controllers.

No

Back