What's new
What's new

OT/ What size wire?

Old Iron

Hot Rolled
I'm hooking up electric heat in the shop, It requires a 60 amp breaker. The Power is about 25 ft away, So what size wire do I need to use? All I have on hand is 10 ga and some 8 ga..

Thanks

Paul

Do please read the part about asking your local Electrician what is legal.

John here were I'm at there is no Legal thing, You do what ya want I just want to do it right...

You don't need any kind of a permit except for a septic tank....Thats all they check...:nutter:

Paul

If you do some research, you will find there are many factors that determine the ampacity of a conductor. Most importantly is the insulation of the wire. THHN and THWN and very common. In conduit, load conductors in a a conduit, free air, ambient temp, insulation, conductor composition, all of that plays in so there really is no "one size fits all" load chart.

One thing you should confirm is some wires are rates at 75 and 90C. Many will simply figure the 90C ampacity is fine but if you configure for that running temp, you have to make sure all other gear is also rated for 90C like breakers, switches, contactors, etc. Take a look at the wire you plan to use, get the numbers off the insulator and go from there.

Back