What's new
What's new

Programmable logic controller

Jason H

Stainless
As mentioned in a previous post I need to control a few different vfd's and motors. I think the programmable logic controller route would be best. Anyone have an idea where to start to learn how to use them? Recommendations on what to use? I have experience with Hitachi SJ200 VFD units.

Thanks

Jason

It depends on how much future use you intend as to how much of an initial investment in software and hardware required for programming.
e.g. the Allen Bradley SLC series are popular but costly in systems and in s/w and cables etc.
I believe Automation Direct are one of the cheapest ways to get in.
I have used many types over the years and I prefer Mitsubishi, there is an instructional book for these 'Mitsubishi FX Programmable Logic Controllers" by John Ridley.
Most of these units offer an analogue module for VFD control.
Minder.

I am able to complete about 3-5 machines a year. I was reading about some that have a web interface. Do these work well? My best machine was made by an out of house engineer and it uses an Omron PLC. It has held up well.

Thanks for the tip on the book, I will try and find it.

Regards,

Jason

Do you mean Ethernet type buses and communication? There are several out there, one of the earliest and still very popular is Modbus, there are several others.
This is usefull for remote operation of I/O and servo drives etc.
Most current PLC's offer Ethernet type bus communication of some kind.
If you need simple operator interface for PLC use, Maple systems offer units from 2 line display and keypad to touch screen LCD with drivers for most makes of PLC's.
Minder.

Back