What's new
What's new

RPC Buzz

Toms Wheels

Titanium
The Phase A Matic RPC I installed, has been sitting quietly waiting to be hooked up to my machines. Yesterday was the day and all was going well, Lathe and Mill turning the right way cut so chips, full power and all. When all of a sudden the RPC started buzzing like a bad ballast, but much louder. Checking over the unit, just warm to the touch, I could not find anything that was loose, to give that 60hz buzz. Shutdown the unit, scratched my head, then tightened the one loose screw found on the motor connection box cover, that was it. Now it sounds like a big motor should, no buzz.

My homemade one used to do that occasionally. Ir was the main contactor. I guess the contacts had to "seat". It only did it under no load conditions. It cured itsself with use.

Recently it developed a new "buzz" that I would have sworn was coming from the unit. Turns out it was my ceiling. The idler is bolted to a block wall and the ceiling is ribbed metal (like barn siding). The vibration from the idler was making one of the panels buzz. The sound followed the wall back to the unit. A quick screw fixed it.

SCOTTIE

Back