What's new
What's new

tranformer needed to feed/protect servo control???

sebtool

Aluminum
We're running a 2005 Hurco VMX30 off a phase converter which has worked like a charm for 3 years. Hooked up our Kitagawa 4th axis awhile back and couldn't get it working, found a couple of blown fuses in the circuit, and replaced them.
Still had a clamp error on the machine screen, traced to a hydraulic pressure switch in the 4th axis. Replaced that, still had an error code on the servo control in the re-gen circuit (A30) on the Yaskawa SGDH-10 control. Was told by Hurco and Yaskawa rep that it could be a resistor, or something else more tragic, could have been fried completely. Probably by a power surge - we've got REAL reliable power out here in the Deliverance country....
Got the control repaired and ready to go back in - local tech said there were 3 different components replaced, + the battery. Pretty secretive about it. But I'm no electrical expert, just a metal butcher/finesser, welder, secretary, janitor, etc...
Here's the dilemma - the Yaskawa repair guy in Chicago tells me that I need to install a step down transformer after the phase converter, as I'm getting 241 volts across 2 legs, and 226 on the manufactured leg. Voltage seems pretty consistent. He tells me I need to get the voltage down closer to 208, plus the transformer would help smooth out and absorb any future power surges.
The thing is, we don't use our 4th axis real often - mebbe 10 -15% of total machine time, if that, lately. Why just the 1 axis? especially since the 4th probably wasn't even hooked up at the time? (we did have a few funny 'light' flashes this summer, but didn't seem to affect anything else in the shop - just made the lights flicker a bit)
The local repair guy tells me I don't need the transformer, it was an electrical thing that happens sometimes - weak link? BUT, he makes his living repairing Yaskawas! Said they used to work on Fanuc, Mitsubishi, Siemens, etc., but they stay so busy with the Yaskawas that they're pretty exclusive now.... Doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling...
I don't have the 'extra' $$$ to throw at it, as the 'money tree' didn't bloom real well this year, even with all the rain we had....
Is there a better way to protect and isolate the machine, either before or after the phase converter that I won't have to put my 1st born male child up as either collateral or payment? (well, he is a teenager....hmmm) Let me rephrase that - cost an arm and a leg???
Thanks

Back