What's new
What's new

VFD for 15hp

barrakudaman

Aluminum
I am looking at a lathe with a 15hp 3 phase motor. Is there a VFD that will take single phase and convert it to three phase for that large of a motor? And what would the cheapest route be? I don't really need any of the fancy stuff the VFD gives you, just the converting portion. Also this lathe has 2 motors on it. 1 is 15hp and the other is 2.5 hp. Is there a way to just buy a 17.5hp VFD and run both motors off it? Thanks

Whats the second motor? Coolant pump, power feed? You may not want to run it the same direction as the spindle is turning, if they're running off the same VFD you may not have a choice. You DO NOT want to install any contactors or barrel switches between the drive and motor, the transients caused by disconnection when powered on can blow up a drive very quickly.

That said, I powered my 7.5 HP lathe with a 15 HP Parker 650V VFD (derated for single phase use according to Parkers tech dept) and have been happy with it, a little digging says that they offer 240V drives up to 50 HP so you should have no problem getting a 30 HP drive and using it to drive a 15 HP motor if thats the route you choose. I chose VFD over RPC because it allows me to finely adjust speed in between some gear range gaps on my lathe. I did however have to power my coolant pump using a second VFD.

HERE is the VFD that will run your main motor.... You will need 90 amps to power it and 2,500.00 to buy it...

Thus the reason I simply said "20 HP RPC"... It will run both of your motors, use all the standard controls already on your machine, save you a heck of a lot of money and use less power.... It will also run more than one machine in your shop...

I get what your saying about the RPC. I have never used one. I have a VFD on my mill and like it. Having the phase converter would be nice being able to run other machines.

The other 2.5hp motor is for the live tooling motor

This is a picture of my setup...
20141201_211637_resized.jpg

It consists of a 10 HP 3 phase motor I bought used for 150.00, shown on the top of the wall just to the right of the clamps.

20141201_211659_resized.jpg

A ready built control box by Phase Craft ( purchased on Ebay, made by the guy that sells them) purchased for 250.00
20141201_211726_resized.jpg

This is the box and the on off switch is on the top left....

And it powers all this equipment...
20141201_211755_resized.jpg
PLUS the grinder you see in front of the control panel and a 26" Do-All contour saw...

Simple to wire up, cheap and easy to operate. When I need three phase I just press the start button on the control panel and I have well regulated three phase power...

It just can't get much simpler.... All for under 500 bucks... You will need a 20HP unit but it's just a little more money..

My biggest load is a 7.5 lathe motor right now.. The RPC gets it spinning at nearly 1200 RPM in a flash...

If the lathe is CNC the motor must already be driven by a vfd? I do not like the idea of feeding that from a vfd.
Rob

According to the company, that made mine, this one is rated for cnc... What the difference in construction is I have no idea.....

I think they are supposed to hold tighter tolerance on voltage and hopefully not send spikes into your electronics.
Rob

Mr. Barrak u da man,

Perhaps you MISSED post #2?

Personally I would not buy one since no one else on earth seems capable of pulling off the 1ph input 15hp for $1300 trick, but, hey, you must have REAL faith with your username!

Making a phase converter is simple. A VFD is much more efficient but we all know how much more expensive it is. Plus pulling that much power may blow the power providers meter off the wall.

Pm me if you need help on building a phase convertor

I am looking at a lathe with a 15hp 3 phase motor. Is there a VFD that will take single phase and convert it to three phase for that large of a motor? And what would the cheapest route be? I don't really need any of the fancy stuff the VFD gives you, just the converting portion. Also this lathe has 2 motors on it. 1 is 15hp and the other is 2.5 hp. Is there a way to just buy a 17.5hp VFD and run both motors off it? Thanks

my user name dousnt have anything to do with me liking the president. It's simply a username I started when I was a kid. I had a 73 barracuda. And somebody already had it spelled correctly. Barrakusuck....that is a good name.

Bonzoshields....I Appreciate your offer. I will be in touch once I get a machine. I appreciate everyone's input.

Mr. Barrak u da man,

Perhaps you MISSED post #2?

Personally I would not buy one since no one else on earth seems capable of pulling off the 1ph input 15hp for $1300 trick, but, hey, you must have REAL faith with your username!

If I had a nickle for every phase convertor I've built for people who got 3 phase band saws or lathes I'd have a back ache carrying them to the bank. I have a lot of experience with it, grew up in an electric motor shop.i may even have a used motor to make it out of at the motor shop.

Don't worry about that guy. I've noticed some really rude ppl on this forum

my user name dousnt have anything to do with me liking the president. It's simply a username I started when I was a kid. I had a 73 barracuda. And somebody already had it spelled correctly. Barrakusuck....that is a good name.

Bonzoshields....I Appreciate your offer. I will be in touch once I get a machine. I appreciate everyone's input.

Back