86turbodsl is offline Aluminum

Default VFD drive a PSC motor?

Like the title says, can I drive a low power PSC motor with a VFD, assuming I remove the start cap? I realize the start winding is probably 90 degrees out of phase rather than 120, but will it work? It's for low cost speed control of a PSC circulator pump. I can get the VFD's for about $30 or so. A true variable speed PSC control is MUCH more expensive.

Jraef is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by 86turbodsl View Post
    Like the title says, can I drive a low power PSC motor with a VFD, assuming I remove the start cap? I realize the start winding is probably 90 degrees out of phase rather than 120, but will it work? It's for low cost speed control of a PSC circulator pump. I can get the VFD's for about $30 or so. A true variable speed PSC control is MUCH more expensive.
    PCS implies it is a 1 phase motor. You cannot run a 1 phase motor from a 3 phase VFD, the VFD will not allow it and trip on output current imbalance (although a few may allow you to defeat that, they won't be the $30 variety).

There ARE however a few 1 phase VFDs that are designed to run 1 phase motors; Bardac / Sprint and Anacon both sell a VFD made by a company called Invertek (from the UK) that is a nice drive. They ONLY work on PSC and Shaded Pole 1 phase motors, no modification of the motor is necessary. But the VFD is going to cost you more than $30.

Where are you finding a $30 VFD anyway? FleaBay? Be wary of cheap used VFDs, they can be junk.

JST
    JST is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post

Where are you finding a $30 VFD anyway? FleaBay? Be wary of cheap used VFDs, they can be junk.
    Every single one I have run into has been junk.....

86turbodsl is offline Aluminum

yes, you are correct, 1 phase motor, 2 windings, 90 degrees phase angle. The VFD's I've been seeing are on ebay, but lately, I was thinking the automation direct GS1's are a better deal, as they work on modbus and my plc can directly control them. Now I just need a circulator with a 3 phase motor....