What's new
What's new

VFD and Whitcomb Blaisdell

restore49

Aluminum
Limited overhead space - is it possible to eliminate transmission and additional belts and drive from the motor to cone pulley with a serpentine belt ?? Old GE motor 220volt single phase 1 1/2 HP 1725 rpm. 3 in. pulley to 7in. pulley. I could find a larger motor.

Basically, no. At 60Hz, the lathe would run 750 - too fast for top speed on plain bearing lathe of around 14" size

At 10Hz, impractical for any ordinary motor, lathe would run 75 RPM - too fast for slowest speed on an old lathe. Also it would just about have no power at all at that speed.

If you look at old info, you will see that the usual old 14" line shaft lathe ran between 10 to 15 RPM on the bottom end and maybe 375 - 425 RPM on the top end.

You have not said if you intend to include back gearing in your usage.

John Oder

Thanks;
I could reduce motor pulley to 2in. top speed would then be 492 rpm. This Old Girl has Double back gears which would give me the low end? I was also not sure about the HP necessary and power transfer with VFD and single phase motor. I have some 1 1/4 HP 220v 1120 rpm motors. I also could get 3 phase motors?

Bob

Back