What's new
What's new

Voltage from Rotary Phase Converter

wrk24wheel

Aluminum
I have a 5hp Rotary phase converter hooked up to my surface grinder. The grinder has a transformer for 120v to hook up the mag chuck. I tested the outlet before plugging it in and it was 142v. I have played with switching the L1,L2&L3 wires around and it will fluctuate between 139 - 142v, but I cannot get 120v. This seems like too much voltage for the chuck and/or a light. Am I wiring this wrong?

If the chuck and light wiring is accessible, I'd just wire them as 120 from the wall socket, instead of the phase converter. If there is some kind of interlock on the chuck (ie, must be activated before starting grinder) then you'd have to address that through switches or relays.

Chip

are you testing the voltage with grinder motor on or just the RPC running and the grinder off ? trying testing the single phase voltage coming into the RPC and see if that is 140v. you might have a cap jumping up the volts, just a guess ... matt

That is the fluctuation. It is about 139v with the grinder motor running and 142v with it off. As for the separate 110v, the chuck was hard wired to the transformer through the enclosure.

Back