What's new
What's new

Wiring my heavy 10

yoshimitsuspeed

Plastic
I just got an old SB heavy 10 with a 3/4 HP 3 phase motor. I will be wiring it up with a VFD to single phase 220.
I am wondering if I can wire the whole lathe or if I would need to just wire the VFD directly to the motor?
There isn't much to it. There is a forward backward switch and I think that's about it.

The usual approach here is to wire the three motor leads directly to the VFD output.

Remove and discard any switches, contactors, fuses, overloads, or starters that might
have been on the machine at the start.

Use the logic functions on the VFD to do all control operations.

It is a good idea to have overcurrent protection on the single phase input of the VFD,
sized appropriately.

The more I thought about it the more sense it made to wire the motor directly. Thanks for the input.

I will be running it on it's own circuit so a properly sized breaker should be enough for over current protection right?

yoshimitsuspeed,

Yes..the output of the drive is wired directly to the motor leads. If your lathe has any control devices such as contactors that are wired to start/stop switches or to a drum switch for Fwd/Rev control I certainly wouldn't rip them out. They can be wired as simple contacts to switch logic functions on the drive and they will allow you to utilize the conveniently located factory buttons and direction drum switch to control the drive.

Stuart

You may have trouble finding a breaker small enough to satisfy the overcurrent protection
for a VFD for a small motor like that. I think the size will be around five amps or so, check
what the manufacturer recommends.

In a pinch a buss fuse in series with the power input leads will do the job.

So I got everything in and wired up.
I used this video for programming the VFD. If there are any other settings I need to change I need help knowing what they are.
I did of course change the settings pertinent to my machine such as amps, rpm etc.
One issue I did have is that the motor does say 220/440. Unfortunately the wiring is all in the back so I would have to pull the motor out to see if it needs to be wired differently. I don't see any box where there would be poles to switch or anything like that so I am wondering if it can just get fed 220 or 440 or if I really need to pull it all apart and look at it. I am sure the latter, I just want to make sure before I tear into it.
It does run on 220 however it is not starting on it's own. I hit run and nothing happens till I give the chuck a light tap in the right direction and then it starts up fine.
It does have a bit of a lope to it. Maybe I am just hearing the spliced belt but it sounds like more than that. Almost like a miss in a gas engine.

Reading around it sounds like it could be an issue with ramp times, could be a problem with the motor, motor could be wired wrong or a number of other things.
I am pretty new to the VFD thing so I would rather procede forward with as much knowlege and as little risk as possible.

It's critical for this application that the motor be wired for the low voltage (240 volts) and the
symptoms you describe, suggest it is not.

You need to disconnect the machine and open the peckerhead housing on the motor
and verify how it is wired. The nameplate on the motor will show the wiring
configuration for the two different voltages.

The wires will be numbered so it will be each to check.

It's hard to see back there but when I looked it looked to me like the wire ran straight into the motor. Did not see any housing. Motor does say rated for 220/440. Guess I'll look closer tomorrow.

Photo would help.

If the motor doesn't have a peckerhead then look
to see if there's a cover plate for a wiring pocket
on the end of the motor. It'll be near where the
wires enter the motor. It would also have the wiring
diagram to explain how to connect low vs. high voltage.

Was talking to a buddy who specializes in this kind of stuff and he said it sounded like the windings were failing.
It finally died completely today so I pulled it out and did a continuity test and it failed spectacularly so I think I found my problem.

My friend is hooking me up with a sweet deal on a new 1 HP motor so I probably won't have any use for this one. Does it hold any value to anyone? If someone rebuilds these or something maybe it's worth something to someone.
I'd let it go for price of shipping once I confirm the new motor fits and works.

If anyone experiences anything similar this is the test that confirmed mine was toast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6IjX6nP_H8

Back