What's new
What's new

brass nut for w&s cross slide. need help soon!

swaseyrunner2007

Aluminum
the brass nut for the cross slide of my machine went out Friday and from what i can tell you cant buy one. it appears to be a 1.250 by 3tpi acme thread. iv got piece of aluminum bronze to make the new nut but have no experience on cutting this style of internal thread. if anyone can give me some advice on cutting this type of thread into bronze or any info you have towards making this the help will be greatly appreciated! i need to have the part done on Monday so i need to learn on the fly.

Your cross slide nut was bronze not brass. It would be best if you have a cobalt HSS bit to grind the acme thread profile because the aluminum bronze will dull plane HSS fast. Grind you bit with no top relief. You could cut a normal v thread first to make cutting the acme thread easier.

For everyone's benefit you can buy pre-made acme screws and nuts from Green Bay Manufacturing

I don't see 3 TPI, but I bet they can make a special order. When I used to make my own nuts, I would use the cross-slide screw as a templet to grind my bit near the end that didn't have wear. Many times we would cut the thread thinner so it was the same pitch all the way and then cut the nut with a tool ground to that width. Rich

Gahr didn't have one ?

So it's now past the deadline (that you posted) so how did you nake out ?

I believe McMaster-Carr can have custom acme taps fabricated to your specs.

Their tap listing includes the footnote:
Other Sizes for Right-Hand Threads—Please specify thread size, tap depth, and material being tapped.25345A98
Other Sizes for Left-Hand Threads—Please specify thread size, tap depth, and material being tapped.25345A107

- Leigh

Back