What's new
What's new

bringing the #4 alive again

Had a cross feed issue , thought it may be the clutch . It was interesting to figure out , had the cross slide off 6 times , the first time found a missing 3/16 key that was safety wired (someone took it out ) , still not working right , after 4 more times I mistakenly pushed the rod that engages the clutch it poked out the back of the cross slide about 3/4 " and showed it self , someone pulled the 3/16 wood ruff key out there also . I think the last owner dis-abled it for the work he was doing . It had a 2 jaw on it and they were doing titanium fittings for the space shuttle.

Attachments

• 20151103_134200.jpg
    20151103_134200.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 20151103_134209.jpg
    20151103_134209.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 313
I'd love to see videos of it running.
I've always wanted a lathe similar to this, but have no real use for it...other than just another toy to play with.

Its nice to see someone resurrect a machine like this and put it back into production. Hopefully you find lots of work for it!

btm

That old gal wants you to turn the feed up 'till you bust the knobs off...

1/8"R facing tool @ .030"IPR feed and grind a couple of narrow grooves in the rake or clearance face on the drill @ .018"IPR with good coolant. Pull the handles & watch her pull - smooth & hard.

You can fill a room full of steam with one of those without trying very hard!

Cool for sure.
Matt

That old gal wants you to turn the feed up 'till you bust the knobs off...

1/8"R facing tool @ .030"IPR feed and grind a couple of narrow grooves in the rake or clearance face on the drill @ .018"IPR with good coolant. Pull the handles & watch her pull - smooth & hard.

You can fill a room full of steam with one of those without trying very hard!

Cool for sure.
Matt

+1, it won't respect you if you don't load it more than that. My #3 will drag the motor down well before it hurts anything on the machine. Turn up the DOC and feed until you consistently break your inserts then back off slightly.

Back