What's new
What's new

Last years of production

rmankty31

Plastic
Hello,I was initiated into machining in 1976-77 by operating turret lathes,primarily Warner&Swasey.Most of them were #2 or#3,some had bar feed.The one I learn to set up lathes on was one with bar feed,which I set-up and operated for about 3 years.Altogether I was in machining for about 5.5 years,mostly on turret lathes and engine lathes.Can you tell me when W&S stopped manufacturing the smaller models? I am seriously planning to start a shop in the pole barn,and I thought that for my initial purposes I might get a #2,3,or 4 and make parts for my tractor.I want to say I have always thought that the W&S' were the best of all I ran during that time.Thank you for your reply!

I realize this is a late response, but take a look on the FORUM under Cincinnati and other HEAVY US made iron. I have a thread going on the subject of a B & S 2G Turret lathe. You might find this interesting. My position is to try to keep the turret lathe skills alive. I also have a W & S 3 that needs a rebuild. These machines are going for scrap metal (weight) prices all over the US. You should not have much trouble finding one to buy. And please do, so that one more fine machine will be saved from going to China to be melted and cast into more junk equipment for resale here.

W&S History

I too started my machining career in 1976 in front of a W&S 3A turret lathe. It is hard to beat 60 horsepower when you are taking heavy cuts.

The long history and sad end of Warner and Swasey is documented in a book:

The Rise and Destruction of the Warner and Swasey Company: A Concise Case Study and Analysis by Daniel Baracskay and Peter Rebar.

This should be available at ABEBOOKS. COM or Amazon. The ISBN is 0972719687.

The book has lots of pictures and interviews with insiders at the company.

I would like to see that book.....Amazon lists it at $330 kinda pricy...unless say 33 people chipped in 10

dollars each and created a private library.

Thanks
Dave Lawrence

Back