What's new
What's new

W&S sc-28 alignment problem

Diezel

Aluminum
I'm working with this 2 axis w&s sc28 lathe and the turret is not aligned with the headstock properly. It's out .02 in the "y". I've indicated the hell out of this thing and the turret seems to seat properly, repeating itself fine and indicates straight in z. I can't drill at all with it because of its problem. The headstock has no way to adjust it that I can see. If anybody has had a similar problem or knows how to even start to figure out how to fix this please let me know!

I am sorry if this seems like a dumb question. But have you leveled the lathe?

I do not know about your cnc machine, but a big old A series turret lathe is a task. If I recall correctly There is step by step procedures in our user manual If you would like some pictures. I would be happy to snap a few.

The old "SC" series NC & CNC lathes are slant bed machines and have no easy way to level the bed. The W & S technician told dad to put a carpenters level on the headstock and level it!

You say its out by .020" in "y". Very good chance you have that much wear in the slides on the turret. Has the machine been rebuilt over the years? It's been too many years since I've been around these, but i believe slides are lined with Turcite. If so, it should be an easy replacement to get your alignment back in check.

Also, have you put a test bar in the turret and checked if the turret is in align with the ways? The Curvic coupling will cause alignment problems on these old machines, too!

Thanks for the replies! Ik it took me a long time to get back to this but... It turns out the turret pins were not tapered! They've been taken out and the machine linea up.

Back