Warner & Swasey Duplex Division Generator
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello,
    I am hoping someone, somewhere can help me. I purchased a very large generator or some may say a engine generator electric plant. It was built by Warner and Swasey Duplex Division, in Lansing Mich. What I need are some manuals on how to run, maintain and fix this thing, there are some peices missing inside the box. Someone somewhere has this information or knows where to get it.. This thing is huge, Red in color, built in the late 50's like around 1958 and it was put in service in 1960's and provided backup power for the Hutchinson, Kansas airport. I think mainly for the runway lights and the control tower. The engine was built by Continental Motors, it runs.. the Generator was built by EM (electric machinery co.) they are still in business and faxed me the inner workings of the generator and wire schems. I think the Gen. works. The entire unit was put together by Warner and Swasey. for the FAA in 1958 or so.
    I do have many photos if someone thinks they have an idea, or knows someone, I can email these to you or something.

There were 250 some of these made and I have the 108th one made in 1958.

Some details are as follows:
    120/208
    KVA 37.5 KW 30
    3 phase 60 Hz
    Order number on the plate on front is 8-3425-1
    serial is 30-615-59

It was made for the Department of Commerce civil aeronautics administration.

Please can someone somewhere help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one of these huge red 'engine generator plants',too.
    I have a direction book and all kinds of other stuff. My engine runs (propane)but when a load is applied, the governor does not adjust the RPM. I don't have it wired to my house yet. I have a person thinking about buying it and I am researching it on the net and found your question.
    If I can be of help, I will try.
    Please reply by email. Mine is contract number-FA-520; serial number 15-378-60. The FAA took delivery on 9/14/1960

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

continuation...18.75 kva; 120-240 volt; 60 cycle; 1 phase.
    Mine provided backup power to a navigational aide in NJ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gooday,I have one of these red beasts and use it as backup power at my farm in New Jersey.I have all of the manuals and if you would like a copy of them email or call me at 732-266-4887.Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by m40a1ss View Post
    Gooday,I have one of these red beasts and use it as backup power at my farm in New Jersey.I have all of the manuals and if you would like a copy of them email or call me at 732-266-4887.Tom
    I also have one of these and use it for backup power on our farm in Eastern Ohio. We used to milk cows but now have been raising White Park Beef cattle. We don't need the backup power so often now, but would really like to keep it available, especially with the news of the storms in Florida which will eventually come to Ohio.

It is a 25kva single phase. I have the electrical diagram but not the manual.

This unit actually starts and runs and provides power to our farm. The Continental engine is huge but runs well.

The only problem I have is that it needs 3 8 volt batteries, which are hard to find and expensive. They need to be replaced about every 5 years, which is about as often as we need to use it.

I'd like to change it to use 12 volt batteries which are a lot easier to purchase. It also has a spot for a crank on the front of the engine, but I don't have anything that could turn it over. Possibly I could start it with one of our diesel tractors, but there is no simple way to connect a pto.

Does anyone have any experience with these huge motor generators? I'd love to hear from you.

Kori in Eastern Ohio.