8" Jointer Surfacing - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too bad OP's machine is on the opposite coast.
    Since you figure it is un-usable as is, and by inference "nothing to lose"..........
    I'd be interested in strapping something like that down to the planer and having a go at it. The issue I've never resolved in my mind, is what to do with the steel lips? Plane them as well? or find & drill out the rivets, put some backers against the edges, plane the tables, and then grind the lips and re-install? That would be a lot of work; and some risk.

smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With proper setup could you grind the lips and then plane the bed to the surfaces of the lips?
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogers View Post
    It wouldn’t make a bit of difference to me. Some woodworkers have a preference but I probably would live with the small with out a quibble. BTW do you plan on keeping all three? I couldn’t afford one now , just retired and getting stabilized, but other needy people...
    Joe
    I am not sure if I will keep any. I am going to mount one to my bench, and my father is mounting one to his bench. If he or I don't find it useful, I will sell. If I like it, I will keep one. I can't see needing 2, but want to confirm before I sell. I bought the three for 80, and am far too cheap to pay what they go for on Ebay. I am guessing this is a once in a lifetime buy. I will not be hording them though.
    Joe

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nebraska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From my start in the early 70's until now, I've bought/sold and used a lot of equipment. Rockwell/Delta was never very good. My first jointer was a 6" PM, green castings warped like crazy. Bought a used 8" PM that stayed straight and the extra size helped a lot, pretty good machine. I now have an old Crescent 16". Pretty good machine but a bear to setup with 8 wedges to adjust. Mostly used to face bad boards as opposed to edging, since that is all done on a SL rip saw.