What's new
What's new

Building a house full of cabinets - need slides and hardware

I use the Blum Tandem. The only thing to keep in mind is that the “usual” 1/2 inch side clearance of most slides is not true with these. Also, you need a 1/2” pocket under the drawer bottom. If you are planning to reuse existing drawers, and just replace the fronts and hardware, the Tamdem type won’t work. You will need new drawer boxes, as well.

Blum tandembox. I have em in my current kitchen, 18 years or so, still quiet, easy to clean, strong and work perfectly. We are building a new smaller kitchen, it will be Blum tandembox all the way.

Blum Tandem is about all I've used for kitchens and standard weight cabinets of most types for customers since they came on the market. (For self/non-kitchen or bath I still sometimes use wooden glides)

I use KV side mount full extension or over-travel models in the appropriate weight for collections drawers, file drawers, etc.

Somehow started buying from AH Turf & lawn supply when they were getting started in the hardware sideline. For years they were the best prices and good customer relations. I have not bought anything for a few years. They seem to have continued to grow in the non-ag area and there is an online catalog for comparison shopping.

About A&H Turf & Specialties, Inc.

smt

I used Grizzly full extension slides. Good quality and decent price. I think I have an unopened box of 12 sets of 22" slides for a project that never happened. PM me if interested.

I'm a cabinetmaker and use KV MUV undermount self-closing slides. Your best bet is to find a cabinetmaker in your are who is willing to order in your slides with a small mark-up.
Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

What do you guys like about Undermount Slides? whenever I'm planning cabinets I want to try the undermount but for some reason I go back to the side mount type.

What do you guys like about Undermount Slides? whenever I'm planning cabinets I want to try the undermount but for some reason I go back to the side mount type.

Cleaner look when drawers are open, for one. Show off the joinery instead of hiding it.

I avoid kitchens, but do them from time to time.
I really don't like dirt ledges in kitchens, anywhere. Though style sometimes mandates them (frame and stile doors).
I'd rather have something you can wipe straight down and off.

Anyway, as to how that relates to undermounts: can't see them without looking up under, leave clean sides to wipe down, no tops of slides and visible parts to accumulate gunk. Cleaner as far as practicality, and as someone else noted, cleaner/better looking.

smt_cabinetrepair15.jpg

(Yeah, I know- it has been pointed out in the past that some of us do not always make a fetish of starting/ending with pins on commodity boxes. :) )

smt

Ok, sounds like some good reasons for choosing undercount slides.
Please correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to remember that I didn’t gain much width and lost a lot of depth.

Ok, sounds like some good reasons for choosing undercount slides.
Please correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to remember that I didn’t gain much width and lost a lot of depth.

You gain about 5/8" total in width. You lose about 1/4" in depth, but that depends how far up you would normally set a drawer bottom for a side hung drawer. If the bottom of the drawer bottom dado would be 5/16" up anyway, then again, the loss is only about 1/4". If you use a thin dado and rebate the drawer bottom to gain the last 1/8" possible, then you might lose 3/8".

I over build drawer boxes, but if you don't, thinner sides can be used with bottom mounts.

Considering high end units from KV, I think side mounts are a little stiffer for the same quality and extension, but the Blum undermounts are more substantial than they seem and have never let me down in kitchen boxes. They do make them in a couple weights. I usually use side mounts for deep file drawers & for tool drawers, though.

smt

Back