What's new
What's new

Can anyone tell me if this is a boring tool for a wood lathe?

challenger

Stainless
Someone gave me this a few years ago. I'm trying g to clean up and came across it. It is 2.5" diameter. There is no centering tip and there is no relief angle. The shank is 1/2".. Thanks
405827835a0202745d13ec744db0894e.jpg
ded19b08da5ee463894933d6865abe89.jpg

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing :)

It is possible that it was used as a router bit on something like a pin router with a lower rpm (lower than 10K), or on a shaper again, less than 10K rpm, in a collet chuck.

It looks like it was make out of an endmill the peripheral relief is small for woodworking. It used to be possible to buy router blanks (for pin routers) that were that OD and larger, but they usually were flatter, not full round. You bought them, and ground the profile needed in the shop. Kind of hard to find anymore.

Awfully skinny shank for a metalworking tool.

Given the typical rpm's & the mass & OD, that is a skinny shank for a woodworking tool, too.
My point was that someone may have ground it out of a large end mill, for some purpose.

I have cut off, and reground tool bodies to shorter cutters with smaller round shanks, for various nefarious purposes in a pinch. :D Not suggesting it was commercially made in that configuration. Though one never knows.... Probably not in this advanced day of liability, though.

smt

I've seen something similar and it was used to undersink the existing hole for a hex headed bolt.

Never seen one quite that big but it would though allow a socket wrench to go round the bolt head.

At 2.5" I see absolutely no use for this thing whatever it is. Thanks for the guesses. I suppose it will go into the recycle bin as I'm attempting to clean my shop and get rid of anything that I see no need for. My shop is an embarrassing horror show. I'm committed (for now anyway) to really cleaning g and organizing it so things like this "cutter" have to go away.
I can't imagine anyone wanting this thing but it's free for shipping??? I'd feel bad throwing it out if someone can use it so I figured I'd ask.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Keep it you never know when you want to drill a 2.5 hole in a lump of plastic bit modification and it will do something.I would have found a use for it in past eg:-Drilling a 2.5 flat bottom hole in graphite(Lathe) from solid-Ideal-In its past life was probably a spot drill for a smaller machine.Someone only had a drilling machine.Drilled the bolt hole,Wanted a large spotdrill,Machine too small to take a large drill,So made this out of a milling slot drill,Which would not have been easy but to get jobs done .And they must have had a lot to justify making this tool.So the small drill was able to drill the hole and spot drill it without swapping to another machine,Either that was the only machine they had or they decided its a job that can be done on the drill and leaves the other machines available.So someone with a small drill press would find a use for such an unusual tool.With a diameter as big as that and being driven off such a small taper it could only be a drilling "spotter" -So keep it and hoard it.

It very much looks like a router bit to me. Years ago it was not at all uncommon for many tools to have very undersize shanks for their diameter and it may have been sold for amateur/home shop use. I have seen 1/4" shank bits with that kind of diameter ratio and the fact that it is a 1/2" shank tool makes it likely this is an early router bit. I am fairly certain I have seen older router bits with a similar grind.

Yes see what you mean the clearance on the middle of tool doesnt look like a metal cutting tool,looks like its for more clearance of softer materials,if it was metal that wouldnt be neccessary and would be weaking it if it was for metal cutting

OK I will hold on to it.
I'd also agree at this point that it is a router bit of sorts. There are lands on the cutters which are machined as in they are proud of the main OD. I doubt these can be seen but they are bare metal. The rest of the body is painted black.
Thanks

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

My thought upon seeing it was it's a facing mill for plastics. You'd probably want to dress the edges up a bit first though. 'o' deg. rake for plastic is what Wolfgang taught me.

I wire brushed it to give a better look. One side has some grinding at the Junction of the two relief angles. I'm sure this was for balance which leads me to think even more that its a large router bit.
The cutting edges are all pretty sharp but not razor sharp. It don't look like it was ever used but maybe I'm wrong and it was sharpened. I think if it was used however the black coating would not be 100%. There are two bevels on the cutting edge BTW.
5334b5e220003338a676bbdd2246307b.jpg
af68e68be23d232b0e06e1aa0f27bedf.jpg
fb0d777031d14237ed08468a8b7d19ce.jpg

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

End mill

i wire brushed it to give a better look. One side has some grinding at the junction of the two relief angles. I'm sure this was for balance which leads me to think even more that its a large router bit.
The cutting edges are all pretty sharp but not razor sharp. It don't look like it was ever used but maybe i'm wrong and it was sharpened. I think if it was used however the black coating would not be 100%. There are two bevels on the cutting edge btw.
5334b5e220003338a676bbdd2246307b.jpg
af68e68be23d232b0e06e1aa0f27bedf.jpg
fb0d777031d14237ed08468a8b7d19ce.jpg

galaxy s4, slimkat
if i wasn't married i'd quit fishing :)

i'm sure of it. Its rather crude looking but its deffinetly a 2 flute end mill. Maybe in this case to cut a dado slot but non the less a 2 flute cutter.

Thanks Bob, I suppose you are correct. My big issue is the puny shank? That's why I was leaning to an edger/radius/profile cutter combo? Light profile, finish and trim pass???
Anyway I'm thinking of drilling a hole in it and wearing as a necklace at the next woodworkers convention. [emoji16]
Most of those dudes are such stodgy, "belt AND suspender" types they would probably be blown over and stay the F outta my way. [emoji16]
Just kidding. Woodworkers are good folk just like those that ply the metal here on PM. Some may even have a better sense of humor than a few I've crossed with here that had none[emoji16].
Thanks for the input.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

It's a router bit used for notching dados. I have one for 1.5" dados. I have a jig setup where I can dado 21 2x10's in one pass.

Edit: I took a look at my bit and it has a flat bottom. This looks to be some type of v groove router bit.

Last edited:
It's a router bit used for notching dados. I have one for 1.5" dados. I have a jig setup where I can dado 21 2x10's in one pass.

Edit: I took a look at my bit and it has a flat bottom. This looks to be some type of v groove router bit.
Must be the photo. This one is flat across the bottom.
There are indeed relief angles. My mistake.
Thanks

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Back