What's new
What's new

Can I use a 110v, 3 phase motor to power a 20" disk sander?

Skye

Plastic
I recycled a 110v, 3-phase motor from a treadmill that I wish to use on a 20" disk sander that I have built. The motor is a weird animal. Will this motor work for the sander? What would it take to get it to run off standard 110v power? Just want to be able to turn it on/off and vary the speed.

Motor Specs:
Emerson J55WZOBP-0014
115v, 3-phase, ~2hp, 3900 max rpm, Code A, 12.0 Amps, 12.0 SFA, Class F, Continuous rated, Thermally protected.

good luck finding 115V 3phase in North America.

But I'm sure there is a work around. "Treadmill" reeks of DC.

Here's a photo of the nameplate, leads, and sander. The two blue wires are for thermal protection.
111111111.jpg
WP_20170622_11_50_26_Pro.jpg
WP_20170623_08_34_39_Pro.jpg
WP_20170623_08_33_59_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20170620_12_39_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170620_12_39_09_Pro.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,798
Last edited:
So is that voltage stamped 1-15? As in variable nominal 12V

The "to be used only with blah blah electronic controller is something to make a note of. Look up that part from Emerson and see what you are dealing with.

So is that voltage stamped 1-15? As in variable nominal 12V

The "to be used only with blah blah electronic controller is something to make a note of. Look up that part from Emerson and see what you are dealing with.

That makes more sense than 115 volt 3 phase. We send equipment all over the world and have never heard of 115v 3 phase.

I donno, it's not intended to be run across the line, but with their special controller. While older treadmills tend to be DC, the disadvantage of DC motors is brush maintenance. Maybe they built a custom VFD that plugs into a 115VAC wall outlet, and synthesizes 115V three phase to run their special motor?

I should think with a part number for the motor, and apparently a part number for the controller (although I can't read it in the photo) I would think information would be available from Emerson, although if the controller wasn't salvaged from the treadmill, a new one likely costs more than a new normal motor.

Dennis

1hp with a SF of 1.0 is under powered for a 20" disc sander. Even if you get it working, you may not be happy with the results.

Slow speed could come in handy now and then, though.

I have the motor control unitelectronic motor control diagram.jpglifecycle 9100 control board.jpg.

Also, here's some more info on the motor from the manual...

"The motor controller PCB is a single phase AC input PWM variable frequency 3 phase AC output motor controller. Specifically the controller input is configured as a full wave bridge for 230v AC input, and as a voltage doubler for 120v input. The resultant DC bus voltage is processed through a microprocessor controlled 6 switch DC to AC inverter. The output is 3 phase power with pulse width modulation of both voltage and frequency".

Does the sentence in bold indicate that the motor can be run off a 230v outlet?

I have the motor control unitView attachment 202013View attachment 202014.

"The motor controller PCB is a single phase AC input PWM variable frequency 3 phase AC output motor controller. Specifically the controller input is configured as a full wave bridge for 230v AC input, and as a voltage doubler for 120v input. The resultant DC bus voltage is processed through a microprocessor controlled 6 switch DC to AC inverter. The output is 3 phase power with pulse width modulation of both voltage and frequency".

NO, As there is no current limiting via PWM with direct to line connections.
Perhaps under certain conditions, but not as blanket "good to go on mains voltage"

Why not use the control unit?

I have the motor control unitView attachment 202013View attachment 202014.

It does not matter if it can or can't. The motor is way to small for a 20" sander. I made a 24" sander and started with a 3HP single phase 220 volt motor, It would pop a 60 amp breaker about half the time when you turn it on. It now has a 5 HP 3 phase motor with a vfd. Works great now.

Don't know if this is THE sander or not, but if you don't have a big steel pipe in that wood column, it will wave around at the slightest touch

Attachments

• Sander.jpg
    Sander.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 404
Thanks everyone for all the good advice. Here are my next moves:
- Abandon the 115v, 3ph motor referred to in original question.
- Purchased a good used a 3hp, 3ph, 220v motor and ordered a VFD from FactoryMation.
- Will add weight to the base.

You might consider raising the table up to the center of the disc. That section exposed below center will throw the work sideways instead of forcing it against the table.

That column looks incredibly weak to the point of being dangerous. The grain is going the wrong way but even going the right way I don't think it would be strong enough with that small a column in plywood. I would build a big heavy box out of plywood with cleats screwed and glued in all the inside corners if I were going to build a disc sander out of plywood.

I might lower the disc slightly but not to the center. My 30 in sander is 18" from the top of the disc to the table and the 24 is about 14 or 15. Both the Master and Zimmerman sanders I have used in other shops were in the 14-16" range for 24" discs the Masters were adjustable but the tables would only lower so you could sand things that were up to 24" at a max. You do have to be really careful when you lower the table. Working on the up side is even more dangerous. A reversing switch is really handy to have on a single sided disk. But don't reverse until the disc is stopped.

Re assemble as a treadmill but loose the belt. Make a few modifications and stand it up and use it as a giant vertical belt sander. Not hard to find custom made belts.

Back