What's new
What's new

Custom made lathe tooling. Angle plate with chuck

Ciprian

Plastic
Hello,
I would like to make an angle plate with a chuck attached to it.
I need to have a hole in the middle of the plate, a gun drill will go from behind to long bore a blank of wood.
Any advise will be appreciated.

Thank you,

The video will describe this much easier:

(video deleted since poster did not respond to answer to his Q. This site does not intend to support drive-by spammers attempting to build traffic elsewhere) smt

Last edited by a moderator:
It might help to know what sort of lathe you plan to attach this too.

For instance, if your lathe has a steady rest, it might be faster and arguably "better" to make a cat head sized to the stock you intend to run.

You might be missing in the video how critical all sorts of alignment issues are in order to optimize the performance as shown. IOW, this is a simple project for a machinist, but it has a lot of "gotchas" starting with center height, alignment of chuck to backplate, backplate to ways, etc, etc. that make it non-trivial. Which equates to: if you do it yourself, cheap; if you pay to have it done, probably not at all cheap and/or not done "well".

Depending on the lathe, it might also be just as effective to put a chuck on the outboard end of the spindle, hold the work in the spindle between the 2 chucks, and bore from whichever end is convenient. I do that for pool cues. With this set up, use the steady rest to hold the bushing for the drill.

smt

Back